Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Happy Belated St.Patty's

I had to post in honor of one of my former favorite sloppy, green beer chugging, Irish Catholic holidays:
Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day!
I was in the spirit yesterday. I dressed in green.
It's hard not to get the feeling with a first grader in the house, especially a first grader who, the evening before, excitedly told me in detail how he had to use his green hair gel on Weds and wear all green clothes.
We ran into one of his little buddies after school yesterday and he, too, had begged his mom to face paint shamrocks on each cheek.
Who knew our future men would be so creative in appearance at such a young age?
Who knew the holiday would evolve into such a costume extravaganza?
It seems like holidays are evolving in America.
Easter in some families has become like a second Christmas with kids even writing letters to the Easter Bunny and getting Play Stations.
Have you heard what the tooth fairy doles out these days? The consensus among X's friends is $20 for the first tooth.
Maybe it's inflation? Maybe it's marketing?
I resent that with each year every holiday seems to get farther and farther away from it's original meaning and closer to the gimme gimme shopping craze of Christmas.
But whatever, I'll keep it real with my family.
Saying that, I'm going to post silly St. Patrick's Day cartoons with leprachauns, rainbows, and pots of gold.
Good news:I didn't write because I had a full day yesterday.
I started at 6:30 am and didn't get home or rest until 6pm.
That's a whole "normal" day people! I was able to drive to where I needed to go, do what I needed to do and not collapse from exhaustion.
This is amazing. It's such a great feeling.
Only a few months ago I was taking
steps just because I could finally take them. I was walking to walk it had been so long since I was able.
I wouldn't have predicted being able to return to a quesi-normal routine.
I'm astounded and loving it.
Tomorrow I'm taking a girls night out.
I had been so wrapped up in recovering, physically and emotionally, I haven't had time out sans family since December.
Time really has flown, but DECEMBER? Wow.
What's the date?
Dinner at Brynn's with her and Nic and seeing "Alice in Wonderland."
The Disney version was a favorite of Heather and me growing up.
I also, almost, read the book. Almost. I started but was never a big CS Lewis fan.
I am, however, a big Burton fan. I'm especially a big Johnny Depp fan.
How could a group of girls go wrong?
I'll tell you how. . . I have pheresis again today.
I am now on a two day a week schedule for every Thursday and Friday.
But it does feel good to be on a schedule.
It feels good to be back.

No comments: