Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Casa de L'Amaya

When I was in high school I had a slight fear of commiting to go toother people's houses.
Call me paranoid.
Call me weird.
I know it's a little unorthodox for a teen to worry about things like this, but I was worried I would say I would go somewhere only to find that it was ..... Gasp..... DIRTY.
Too dirty. Below my cleanliness standards dirty.
I didn't want to be forced into a smoker's home that smelled like cats with a dirty friend because that was where my new found friend lived.
The friendship was just not worth it.
I would stay home, being a hermit, and not make plans that required home visits.
I guess this quirk prepared me for my future isolation and disease.
The paranoia of other people's homes has only gotten worse.
I hate walking into a house only to find there is construction going on, cabinets have just been removed, there are five dogs, etc. Etc. Etc.
Not a problem this week, x has finally agreed that we are staying in a house, but only after we named C and C's house, casa de l'amaya (amaya is their last name), a very vogue, clean, b and b.
We spent yesterday lounging in our swimsuits, playing in the pool.
I experienced my first game of LIFE, which I somehow missed out on as a child even though I was never wanting for board games.
We had a scrabble game too, which I had never played.
I hate learning games now. I am getting too ultra competitive, but these were fun.
Did you know a "turk" is not just a person from turkey, but is also "one who aids and advocates?"
I know you thought this defination described a "hillary," but it doesn't.
Just ask the scrabble dictionary.
Board games are absolutely coming camping with us (our next trip, the annual campingg excursion in the white mts with the wilder side of the family on july 5-17).
After our leisurely day, a nice couple from c and c's church let us borrow their lake house on easy st. Yes, we were allowed to borrow a lake house, an absolutely gorgeous one where we could fish, swim, and bbq to our hearts desire. It was absolutely gorgeous on lake jordan.
X and jake had some bonding time. Jake taught him some fishing moves and jumped into the "slimy water."
It was a great time that
ended with me having my first road trip on a motorcycle, a harley no less (I'm not counting the ride in the side car, F).
Doc has drilled an "anti-bike" mentality into me since birth: bikers are organ donors, its a unnecessary risk to your life, and really, how many ER nurses and docs do you see riding those?
I figured I took enough risks with my life and it was time to feel the freedom.
I did still clutch the seat for my life though.
Old fears die hard, but it was well worth the risk.

No comments: