Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, June 26, 2009

On the road again

This posting is coming from my sweet pink blackberry, again, but the difference this time is Brynn, Jake, xander, Bailey and I are well on our to our final distination: Montgomery Alabama. I have to admit, Montgomery never really made my travel list. Alabama hadn't even made my "hundred places to go before I die" list or even "the bucket list.". It didn't make any of these lists, because I don't have these.These lists could be terribly self defeating. I don't want to be laying in my death bed trying to reach for my "To do in life" checklist and feeling like a failure. Here is an ironic tidbit, the young dot com millionaire who wrote the book, "A thousand places to see before you die" (or something of that nature, you get the point) died, suddenly, in his forties. Maybe, by writing a book like that, you are just asking destiny to knock you off early. He never even finished seeing the thousand places. I do have ideas, however, that I would like to accomplish.It's a list, in my head, for me to keep. Maybe I will write it down some time. As far as places I have seen, x and I fell asleep before NYC last night. I opened my eyes to the sight of gigantic walls and fencing, feeling the lull of stop-and-go traffic until we hit the george washington bridge and everything just stopped. We joked that we started the road trip just to park on the gw. I said I was calling my friends to see if they wanted to hang out, seeing as it took over an hour to even move. Jake, who was driving, out the car in park and got out to give bailey water. I finally just went back to sleep, sprawled out across the back seat of the jeep cherokee loredo. I'll admit, it was more comfortable than I thought it would be, but the secret to relaxing on any road trip with child....... Ativan. That is ativan, an anti-anxiety medication, and I am saying THE PARENTS should have it. What kind of parent do you think I am? Everybody knows the benadryl and the dramamine are for the kids. Just kidding, but I was eyeing the bottles in the line at the pharmacy yesterday, just in case. X and I woke up for breakfast in virginia a little before nine am. Brynn and I had come prepared to be cheap and eat on the road. There was a nice picnic area at the rest stop where we relaxed, letting bailey and x run around. Brynn brought muffins, pb and j, trail mix and granola bars. Being the great minds we are and thinking alike, I brought trail mix and granola too, along with smoothies, bananas, strawberries, and turkey. Instead of the "staycation" we're embarking on a "sharecation.". Pack the food, split the gas and go, go, go. Stay with someone you know. This is how I will be adventuring this summer. We can thank mom for letting me mooch off her hard work in DC and F for his gorgeous place in upstate VT, and now Brynn for liking me enough as a friend to want to spend 24 hours on a roadtrip with X and I going to mom, Colleen's, house in montgomery. We're almost through NC now, which I have to say, looks a lot like New England minus the mountains and rivers. I did get a little lost talking to the gas station attendent. Our accents didn't quite mesh. We toured gas stations and truck stops through out the "boros." That would be greensboro, etc. I did get all giddy going through the Raleigh-Durham areas. NC has some amazing colleges and hospitals. If life were different, I might have set up shop there for a while. I get all giddy going through New Haven too, since all growing up when I picked a pretend dream college my pick was always Yale. I picked yale because I saw harvard and didn't like it. Dartmouth was too close for comfort. I have never even seen or set foot on the yale campus, but in my little mind, those were the college options. I also wanted a college in one of the nastiest, scariest areas that could be found. Boston wasn't badass enough. New Haven fit the bill, but when push comes to shove, the dirty down Bronx wins. Cheers to. My alma mater, CNR. Rest time now.

No comments: