Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

CHEMO BRAIN

I always think of my blog first thing in the morning.
I wake up inspired thinking about what I can tell everybody about my adventures..... and then life happens.
I start to putter around the house. I get Xander off to school. I shower, go to appointments, visit friends, and forget about this whole online world.
I just wanted you all to know it's because I'm doing fine.
I'm writing but can never seem to make it through the whole organizational task of putting the words on the computer with pictures and videos.
It's part of my "chemo brain."
Chemo brain is the most interesting side effect I have experienced.
It's also the most troublesome.
It is what prevents me from getting from point A to B and then C everyday.
To adjust for my fatigue, I used to be able to plan out each step I would take in my head before actually taking the first step.
I no longer have that capacity.
This means I accomplish NOTHING.
It's a chore in itself just THINKING.
I started writing just to prevent this side effect. It feels like brain atrophy. My head has turn to mush, just like those 1980s commercials with the egg fried on drugs.
I'm going to look through The Mayo Clinics online manager today in hopes of finding some organizational tools to prepare for my next bout with illness (it will come again sometime).
I've finally started to realize there is a world at there again, and I want that world in the best shape when I'm not running around anymore.

No comments: