Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

On The Brightside


I am so excited!!!

The beauty of having such a range of feelings, from highs to lows, is that when you are happy, you are really happy.

Right now, I AM HAPPY.

I am feeling a sense of relief.

One of my blogger friends, KARA, had her sister email me with directions on how to set a donation button up on my blog!!!

I hate asking for money.

I am ashamed of the difficult times we are having. I worry that I will be remembered more for taking the generosity of others and not repaying.

I have heard so many stories like this after the death of loved ones from blood disorders.

I write transparently because I hope people will understand how frugal we are with our money.

What I do know is we live within our means, but we are simply not able to afford what it costs to fight cancer in America.

I have also just taken a $566 monthly pay cut from “Reliance Insurance,” which has been paying me a monthly income for the past 3.5 years.

IT could get worse. I’m trying to hide on the sidelines here.

I think if I just give in and allow them not to pay me the $566 a month maybe, hopefully, they will not track me down for the $18,000 they are claiming they overpaid me.

I am not dealing with this now. I am too sick. I am in too much pain. I need my body in fighting condition, but they’ll probably comeback and try to bite me in the btt at some point.

Who cares? As long as it is not now. This is not a problem I am dealing with now.

What I am doing is taking meticulous notes regarding my bills. The Excel spread sheet is color coded and runs about twenty-five pages. It marks everytime a hospital or insurance company was called, the reason for the phone call, and the outcome.

My Aunt who has been the head of bill at Dartmouth for 25 years has so graciously taken my bills on as a project.

I am so blessed to have her, but I also hope the world will be blessed by her efforts.

When the time is right, I can’t wait to get my information in the right hands to be analyzed for efficiency.

I would love to have great minds from all over weigh in on all dimensions of my case.

Even being an RN, I had no idea how much you are robbed when you get sick, not only of your money, but of your dignity as well.

1 comment:

Heather said...

hey hillary,

i sent a donation. wish it could have been more.

ya know, it's so ironic that RN's end up in such predicaments. we devoted our life to helping others through illness. people would never believe what happens to us.

i had major medical coverage when i was diagnosed. but being through a hospital, they insisted that i stay in their network. i needed a pericardial window placed, our network did not even have a cardiothoracic surgeon on staff. i was transferred to a larger hospital for the surgery. it was all precerted.

so then i got the bill and denial from bc/bs. their argument was that i could have had it done locally as an outpatient LOL. our hospital is so rural i don't even think they place arterial lines, etc. i appealed and appealed, and lost. just with that stay alone (8 days) i owe more than i do on my mortgage.

that doesn't include deductibles, copays, etc. i had to just stop worrying about it. there's nothing i can do to fix it.

i'm sorry you have such ridiculous worries on top of worries about your life and family. life is hard. i don't know why it has to be that way. you're in my heart and prayers.

i still owe you my medical mystery email LOL!