Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, September 25, 2010

I made it.
I did it!
Let's all congratulate me for finally forcing myself off the couch and pushing myself to get back to some activities I enjoy, despite my lungs.
I've been thinking, wanting, to start exercising but the time was never right. X was home so I needed to save my energy. We weren't on a schedule. I'd wear myself out and not be able to do anything all day, etc.,etc., excuse, excuse.
Then I spoke to Dr.  G yesterday who couldn't hide the sadness and disappointment in his voice that I would want a wheelchair.
He said he doesn't want me getting de-conditioned, which is a fear of mine too.
De-conditioning could be catastrophic to me.
So I picked X up and suggested, for the fist time this year, that we go out searching for salamanders.
His face lit up. This has always been one of his favorite things.
Every year our cooler turns into a terrarium for frogs, salamanders, and worms of all kinds.
We used to call X, Salamander Xander.
Then after searching we played soccer for a little bit.
I thought this was going to be my reasonable activity for the day, but co-coach had forgotten about soccer practice that night.
I didn't want to leave J frustrated with ten 7-8 year olds so I stepped up.
I did the stretches. I tried to coordinate the drills so the kids would do the most work with as little effort from me as possible.
J didn't get this since when I'd make a suggestion he'd come up with something else until he decided to scrimmage, splitting the team in half so I had to coach alone.
Probably one of the most exhausting things we could have chosen.
But I still did okay.
I couldn't always breathe when I wanted to make suggestions, such as when I brought a girl up from defense for a throw in and she threw it in towards our goal to nobody.
Oopsy, but I couldn't get the words out.
But I still had fun, and I really felt good after.
I'm working my way up, but I am still getting that wheelchair.

No comments: