Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Xander, xander, xander


X decided yesterday morning that I was too sick to be left alone and that he would not be going to school.
 Transitioning x to and from me has been a long standing issue. 
There is no punishment/bribe/routine that I have found works when my 7year old really thinks his mom could be in imminent danger, and really, try to drag a crying, screaming, hysterical child off of you when you are barely conscious the day after chemo.
 Holding it together for the 1.5 hrs after he gets up bathes, has breakfast, etcs. Is hard enough.
 And he even gave the "family comes first" retort (damn that priotities conversation. You know the God, family, school, etc).
 I started making SOS calls at 8. I called J and handed the phone over to x. I thought this meant I was getting rescued and started to pass out. 
By the time I realized help was not coming, I was exhausted.
 X won and got to stay home, watching me sleep. 
One week this summer, I got chemo and he sat with me, watching me half sleep for days when he knew he could have been swimming or playing with friends. If he's willing to give up that, it's not so hard to reject school.
 I really wish I had the answer for this.

No comments: