Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Remembering to be Grateful


These past weeks, every time the aches or the pain started to get to me I'd start to complain. 


Then I'd stop, think, and remember all the times I was REALLY in pain and how I'd been helped then. 

I'd imagine how I could be looking at that moment in various states. Then I'd remember that ever aches and pains are not so bad.

I'd grit my teeth into a smile and think how I should be appreciative that I'm still alive and can participate at all. 


And I wouldn't be able to live life or have a quality of life without all the people who help, love and support me. I'm so fortunate to have family, friends, caretakers, etc. Who have taken time out of their lives to keep me functioning.



There are so many people in so many roles who have come into my life and brought something good to it over my past battles.
I'll be forever grateful and indebted to anyone who has been kind enough to bathe and change me, refreshing my bed while I am so sick and a shower and change of clothes is the only thing that reminds me I'm human. 

I am so lucky to have experienced the love and generosity of so many. The support has helped me survive for so long. I'm fortunate. Without everybody who has lifted me up and carried me (sometimes literally) during the hard times, I would have exhausted myself. 


I'm lucky, a lucky, lucky woman. It's so important to survive and live with a healthy mentality, appreciating the little things. Don't focus on what you've lost. Focus on what you have and what you've overcome. Then remember to be grateful and as happy as possible.

No comments: