Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Grown-up Chicken Pox


Herpse Zoster (aka Shingles) usually appears as red, itchy or
 painful bumps along a nerve line. See between my eye,
above the left eye & my top right forehead.

I knew once I hit that "accept" button something would happen to stop me from going to my ten year reunion. 

I wasn't going to accept the invite. I was just going to show up, but I did. I was feeling good 5pm Friday night. 

I didn't think anything could stop me from my day of plans on Sat: soccer shoot outs, maybe a yard sale, my tenth reunion, and N's 30th birthday party.

After hitting the accept button, the boys (J, X, and C) decided, since it was raining, they wanted a rare family night out with dinner and a movie. They were voting to see the inspirational dolphin movie.

I was voting for a comfy family night in. My stomach had started to churn. I felt a little feverish. I just didn't feel good, but I knew if I said no nothing would happen, and I don't remember the last time we went out on a "date."




The first spot is seen as a red patch near my ear,
it has extended above my eyebrow & to my temple.
We got pizza before the movie, which immediately flipped my stomach.

When we got to the movie theatre I ran right to the bathroom. I felt feverish and nauseas and itchy. I wanted to go to bed, but I stayed awake through the movie.

It was a good movie, inspirational.

But when I got home I looked in the mirror only to see little spots all over my forehead, itchy, burning spots.

Acne? Maybe, it looks like it. 

Bug bites? Maybe, it definitely itches.

Shingles? I'm always a little in denial when I get shingles.

Those nasty shingles just kept popping up! The red spot on the back of my arm, along with multiple spots near my hairline, & a few bumps @ the bra clasp.
I tried to sneak into my second transplant while having active shingles, but on the gurney to get my line placed I confessed.

I took out an alcohol swab and rubbed it all over my face to dry out the oozing wounds.

WHEWEEE!!!

I thought nothing could stop my plans. Nothing could stop me except SHINGLES!!! 

Yes, grown up chicken pox all over my face, under each arm pit. 

Like the hard core crazy chick I am when it comes to healing or containing contagion, I saw the bumps spreading all over my face, and not completely knowing if it was shingles or an acne breakout , which I've never had, I took alcohal to it to dry them out.

 I don't recommend that treatment.


This is a "WTF" symptom. It looked like shingles, it itched and
 hurt too, but it's on my shin, not a nerve Maybe a cellulitis?
Who knows, but I was  diagnosed
with "diseminated herpes zoster." Very serious.
Shingles burns enough on its own, but being around kids with a spotty oozing face, I had to do something. 

It dried them out.

My prophylactic 500mg twice a day valcyclovir didn't save me.

I called the doctor. He took pity on me and had me try 1000 mg three times daily so I could enjoy my family, but Sunday came and the shingles had gotten worse!

I had spots creeping towards my eyes, spreading more across my forehead, across my back. It was all over. I hurt and I itched.

I called the Doc back, as I was told to the day before, and it was time I headed to the ER for IV anti-virals for "Disseminated Herpes Zoster," and after X's game, I was ready to run to the ER for relief.


No comments: