Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, September 16, 2011

Guess who's Coming: The Flu Arrived

Sorry for going MIA, believe it or not, the illness keeping me away is not my own, it's poor X's.
It all started Tues. night when he couldn't sleep. He kept crawling in and out of bed, taking baths, then trying to unsuccessfully sleep again.
When I woke him to go to school on Weds. he seemed okay, a little lethargic. He said his legs ached and his stomach hurt, but didn't fight nearly as hard as he had in the past.
Due to an awful virus he had last week, the upper respiratory infection thta took me three rounds of antibiotics to rid from my system, he was out 3 days. Prior to that he missed a day due to a Doctors appointment. The first Fri. he missed, the friday before labor day weekend, he has also missed due to a preplanned family camping trip.
Silly us, we just didn't anticipate starting two weeks prior to labor day.
This has made him miss 5 days of school all ready.
I agree, that is a lot, but they have all been for verified, excused reasons.
That didn't stop a teacher from lecturing him about absenteeism and telling him it's going to be very hard to catch up if he keeps missing school, sending him into an anxious panic, something strongly warned against in his IEP.
Weds. morning he was lethargic, fatigued, and achy. HE felt incredibly hot to the touch. As we were leaving he made me verify I would be picking him up and that I was just a call away if he needed me, though he pouted saying, "they never let me call you."
When I picked him up from school he wanted to play with his buddy, so we had a short playdate climbing trees before going home.
At home, X played with his friend for 5 min. before plopping himself in front of the tv, refusing to talk, eat or drink.
I didn't know whose child this was but it certainly wasn't mine.
My child needs a brain break after school. He comes home to eat and drink his heart out and watch tv for a half an hour all while fidgeting.
He NEEDs to be sent outside for some physical activity by 3:45pm. It'd past 3:45 and not only was he not eating, he wasnt talking, even to the friend he invited. He didn't even want to play video games. He didn't want me to give them a ride on the 4-wheeler. He wanted a ride in the jeep to the sand pit- 50 yards from the house.
I took his temp: 101.7!!!
OH NO! I sent him to school on a contagious day! I called X's friend's mom immediately apologizing and giving the warning signs.
Infecting others was exactly what I had tried to avoid last week. I didn't want to be the family to infect the school.
So far, his school has been safe from the vicious respiratory infection.
Instead, they've been exposed to the flu.
Yes, I said it, the flu.
X went to see his primary care provider Thurs. who could not find a bacterial source of the problem, and with a temperature as high as 103.7, there should be a bacterial source.
He doesn't have a cough. He doesn't have the sniffles. He doesn't have a UTI or a respiratory infection.
HE does have a fever that hasn't gone below 100 since Thurs. despite rotating tylenol and motrin every 2 hours, which is how the flu is treated.
He has been drinking water, gatorade, and gingerale- a lot of fluids since supportive care is the only care that can be given.
He's such a sick little boy he's cried and screamed. He's thrown up several times, which is not part of the flu, but has often occurred when his fever read 103.5 or higher. In desperation, I've given him baaby doses of ativan .25 mg.
I've even moved on to giving him tylenol with codeine, which gives him relief for almost 4 whole hours, when I can sleep.
At the beginning of this illness he weighed 90 lbs., technical the weight adult dosing can start, but I'm not THAT comfortable. He's also dropping those lbs. quickly.
J and I rotated last night. I went to bed about 5:30 and slept until 10:30 so I could take the night shift waking up every 2 hours and J could go to work today.
I'm scared to think who may be hit next.
We've stocked our house with fluids I like- coconut water and V8 tropical so I can start pounding the fluids.
To everybody who hasn't seen us in a while, stay away until the all clear is given. For anybody else, I'm sorry if it hits you. Watch out for headache, muscle aches, and stomach pains with lethargy. Those seem to set in first prior to a fever.

No comments: