Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Appointment Day

Today is Appointment Day At Dartmouth Medical's Norris Cotton Cancer Center.
I meet with big man #2, Dr. Meehan and his right hand woman, Pr. Beth Kimtis (Who was it that said, "Behind every good man stands a better woman."?)
I have been seeing this team somewhat frequently to establish continuity of care between my primary hospital (Dana Farber) and my old, but hometown cancer center, of Dartmouth Medical.
This connection and partnership is important to establish due to the huge numbers of emergent variables that can occur post transplant that may require emergent care.
It is scary enough to have to undergo such a highly specialized procedure as an allo-stem cell transplant, but then to realize there is no one that has any idea about your case and how to treat it if something happens within two hours drive is even scarier.
Basically, a lack of communication between the two hospitals could mean a lot of undue fear and stress for us poor patients.
Thank goodness for good people who understand.

No comments: