Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, June 27, 2009

FYY- for informations sake, I almost had to brutally attack jake who tried to be funny by calling in the middle of my writing. I thought I had lost the post, but luckily for him, it could be saved. Being stuck in a car on a road trip is a lot like being disabled. Doing the simplest task you generally think nothing of completing is a gigantic pain in the ass. Just think about all the inconveniences of the roadtrip(or ours for example): the sweatshirt is in the luggage strapped to the top of the car so even though you're freezing from the ac you think long and hard about getting it since you know you'll have to climb up to the roof, loosen the ties, unzip the container just to get a peak at the bag you want forget about actually reaching the coveted sweatshirt. The list of inconveniences go on, need to put in contacts or brush your teeth, hope you find a clean bathroom and that strangers don't inappropriately invade your space when you have clearly claimed your spot (that's special for a woman in VA). If you need to go to the bathroom, it's not as simple as just getting up and walking there, you have to find an exit, an exit that will have facilities, and good luck with getting to an exit if you happen to be stuck in standstill traffic, traveling in vt where the exits span thirty miles apart with no facilities or really in a hurry hoping to get to your destination asap.                        Simple tasks require a lot of thought and preparation, the inconvenience vs the benefit needs to be evaluated. Just how badly do you need to go to the bathroom or get that cup of coffee? Is it worth the time and effort put in to get it.          So goes the tale of becoming disabled, suddenly the simple daily tasks of life are not simple. They require energy, time, and preparation. It takes mental evaluation regarding what will be needed, and if something goes wrong or is forgotten all hell breaks loose.  I "lost" my gum for our entire trip only to realiza later that the wristlette it was in had been moved to a different bag, in my sight, across the back seat of the car. It was just too much of a struggle to find it. Just like being disabled, what you want could be in your sight, right next to you,but you have to think long and hard, strategize, about how you're going to get what you need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny Hill ... hope your trip goes well ... best to the boys ... & know that I'm thinking of ya ...

F