Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

BIG THANK YOU!

As if taking great care of my pride and joy, my first born, Xander, wasn't enough, I have just received a large check from Xander's school, Charlestown Primary in Charlestown, NH.
I have been raving all year about how happy I am with the staff at Charlestown Primary School (which is also my elementary school alma mater), and I am sure we will continue to be blessed with the fabulous working professionals at, not only Charlestown Primary School, but the Fall Mountain School District.
I really wish everybody could see how touched I am that we have such a great community and school system that loves and supports us.This past winter, students at The Charlestown Primary School participated in "Pennies For Patients," which is a fundraising effort for patients with Leukemia or lymphoma in conjunction with The Leaukemia and lymphoma Foundation (www.llf.org).
I was fortunate enough to be chosen as the patient to support this year.
The staff and students all hoped on board, sending out a letter to parents and placing a poster of me and my family in the school's entrance.
Everybody there has certainly rallied in support of us.At the start of the school year, I met with CPS's multidisciplinary team to discuss how our family would make it through the year and I was met with much love and support.
Mrs. Kane, the school nurse, who had once been my school nurse, made sure to call every time their was a communicable disease in Xander's classroom that he may have been exposed to in an effort to keep me as safe as possible.His teacher, Miss R., stayed in close contact, writing to me daily is needed through a communication log sent back and forth through a folder so I could keep informed about how xander was doing despite my inability to physically join.
Everybody would set up meetings with me to discuss our needs whenever a new issue would arise, and so many did, but it was made easier knowing that for 5 days out of the week, Xander had a caring team at school to care for him and maintain a routine, which is so important with our lives so unstable.
There are too many people to thank, but the school guidance counselor made special time for x and friends to help him socially integrate despite such an emotional time in his life. The school social worker worked diligently to make sure everything was organized.
Anne, his longtime speech pathologist has certainly served as more than just to help develop his language. He has seen her every week since my battle began. We are so lucky to have her.
Kim P. and AW were always upfront with a smile to invite xander into school, even if school was the last place he wanted to be.
X especially found comfort in Mr. G, who he drew in his "trust circle."
Ms. P, Mrs. H, and AL have also gone above and beyond to keep x happy, as well as all the friends, families, and staff that I didn't even meet since I had to hide away from the school all year.Along with the Pennies For Patient fundraiser, wrist bands were sold in Green, the official lymphoma color, with my mantra "You cancervive."It was inspiring to see all the "cancervivors" walking around town in support of our battle.I am sending you all flowers right now.
We will be forever grateful and hope that we will in some way be able to give back through participating in the community for a very longtime.
Thank you so much to everybody.
I'm gushing. I'm going to keep gushing.. . . just somewhere else.
They have gone above and beyond in so many ways.
We are so lucky and grateful to live here and be associated with such a great community and school.

No comments: