Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, February 19, 2010

Dear Anonymous


Thank you for commenting anonymous. All situations are different. With your WBC and ANC it does appear you are too immnocompromised to go anywhere. There are varying levels of compromise. I'm not sure what my numbers are currently, but I'm more than a year post transplant. Not knowing more about you, I wouldn't advise specifics.

Anybody compromised If you do dare venture, where a mask and gloves. The mask helps since many assume you are contagious and a threat to them so they keep their distance.
Bring lots of sanitizer. Use it all the time and then wash your hands thoroughly before going back home, eating, etc. When in doubt, wash your hands, in cold water (warm opens pores and allows bacteria in) for 30 seconds. Try to keep as much space from people as possible. If you need a wheelchair, or maybe think you may at some point want one, use it, since this also keeps people at a distance and more respectful of your health.

Vanity goes out the window for protection. Remember, you are your priority.

I'm able to do these things because the reality of my situation is I have fought long and hard. I deprived myself of things I enjoy in hopes of living a long happy healthy life. It's quite possible I won't. I had to go through a lot of mental preparation to get to this point, and the fear still haunts me. I still get anxious whenever I go anywhere, but I can no longer postpone a life I am not guaranteed of having. I want memories and fun with my family. I found for my holistic health I had to determine what risks I was willing to take to have a quality of life I enjoyed while battling my disease. It's a fight all in itself.

I'd love to speak with you personally to be of better help. My email is hill.stpierre@gmail.com

No comments: