Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Uptown Girl

This is Hillary, reporting from 160th St. St; The Munstein Buiding at Columbia Presbytarian Hospital, uptown Manhattan.
This is also the region known as Morningside Heights where, when I was in college, I researched the dichotomy of care received between the ten block walk from where I'm currently housed and  Bronx-Lebanon Hospital.
I'm happy to be on the south side, the good side.
I was admitted a week ago yesterday after a routine clinic heck up with Dr. O'Connor (or so I thought) at his brand new office on 60th st, 108 blocks away, where i promprly had a "near syncopal " episode, and got myself a bed here.
I'm not sure what has been getting onto the blog.
My phone works sometimes; others it doesn't.
Passing out, going flaccid in my father's arms wasn't anything either one of us was prepared for. It bought me a ticket in the ambulance here, which I desperately needed.
The week has been testing and strengthening.
My kidney stent was replaced at DHMC, but had all ready begun to fail due to the extreme dehrydration from the round-the-clock diarrhea.
Sun. before we hightailed it to NYC I noticed severe swelling in my cankles. Can't even recognize them.
By Tues the swelling had spread to my stomach.
Weds. this was determined to be lymphadema or my cancerous lymph nodes swelling and draining with no where to go.
Along with my kidneys failing, so isn't my liver, which controls clotting in the bodu; however, it's imperative to know if i have gvhd of the liver. This will effect the chemotherapy regimen.
Revlomid, which I have on a standby, increases graft vs. host issues; the other one does not.
I feel the sickest I've been in a long time, maybe ever. I am a two person assst to the bathroom, but I am not longer losing consciousness!!
My clotting times and kidneys are the worst they've ever been. I really have begun to wonder if I'll die from this.
I've promised to keep fighting for him forever, and that's what I plan on the doing.
Last night, the nurses gave me fresh frozen plasma, a blog product, to assist in clotting, in prepaation for my biopsy.
 This am my PT/INR was 1.2 but my hemoglobin had fallen 2 pts to 8, probably dilutaional from adding fluids, but I can't risk bleeding.
I'm getting a CT of my stomach to see if I'm bleeding there; pray something will go my way SOON. There are so many options!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

IM STILL SENDING MANY PRAYERS AND POSITIVE THOUGHTS OF LOVE TO ALL OF YOU :)
MICHELLE

Anonymous said...

So sorry you don't deserve this! You are such an advocate for others. At the very least you are in the best possible place for care. Come on' NYC! west hartford Reader

Anonymous said...

I never known anyone as determined, focused and brave - even in the worst of situations - as you. You have a HUGE team cheering for you. Hope you can hear us.

Anonymous said...

I continue to think about u and ur family. Sending u love and hope u continue to fight like u always have! U r the strongest person I know! Xoxo
Love danielle f

Mrsmitty said...

I'm here for you girl, you know I wish I could be right there with you. I hope to see you soon, we send all our prayers and LOVE your way!!!! Dani

Anonymous said...

I'm saying a novena to Saint Philomena (for impossible cases). You are in our thoughts and prayers!!
Love and God Bless,
Lew and Jeanne

BarbaraG said...

Hang on, Hillary! I lit a virtual candle for you at http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=15245343. And I hope the CT will show no signs of internal bleeding.

Loraine Ritchey said...

I wish I could express how wonderful and brave I think you are- and whatever positive energy I have I am sending your way - hang in there Hillary we need you

Connie said...

Thinking of you, Hillary, and praying for a quick turnaround of these nasty symptoms!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you. Jesus we trust in you!

Isabelle

Brynn said...

something good is coming your way in the form of two awesome girls! michelle and i will be there saturday to bring you prayers, smiles, and positive thoughts! :) love you lots and thinking of you always! <3

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you Hillary. You are
Very strong young lady and quite a fighter!!
Hang in there
Carly, Holly, Katie C.

Colleen said...

You have LOTS of people praying for you in Alabama, sweetie. You've always been a fighter, and I know you won't stop now. I pray that God continues to comfort you through all this. Love to you from me and Chip. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Keep fighting, Hil <3

xxoo Nic