Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, September 29, 2008

I’m the Type of Girl Who. . .

I didn’t mean to get this thin. If you want me to give you diet advice, I would tell you to get cancer. I eat 3,000 calories daily. That’s minimum. I’ll eat a full pint of Ben and Jerry’s in bed and fall asleep without moving just to keep the calories.
Sometimes, I wash my clothes, pull them out of the dryer, and think, “Dammit. I’ve shrunk my clothes and will have to donate it to a kindergartener” only to put them on and realize they fit me.
I’ve had friends do my laundry only to wonder why I have little girls clothing in my house. Have I hidden a 6 year old somewhere? The last pair of pants I bought were a size 10/12. That is not in grown-up sizes.
Thank goodness Victoria’s Secret was that she liked to cater to pre-teens or else I’d be shopping in the girls section for everything.
Deep inside, I hope these issues are just good genes. Here are some other tidbits that you might not know and might not believe. I’m the type of girl who:
laughs out loud in dead silence  belongs in the hot moms club  eats full pints of Ben & Jerry’s before bed  compulsively needs to be the best  shops only clearance and thrift stores  gets the giggles weekly will stare right back if I catch you looking  thinks I’m right, no matter how wrong I am  would like to rule the world  loves tech toys  buys only fake or hot designer goods  does not think diamonds are my best friend  always wants to have fun  does not like to part with my money  needs to know how all these other people got so rich  loves people
My favorite color is aqua blue. Yes, as in Tiffany’s blue, the color of my living room walls blue, as in the color of the lymphoma cancer ribbon aqua blue. I think that coincidence is wonderful irony. I also think Tiffany’s is over rated, but Simon Pearce, my friends, is not
I would not wish my situation on ANYBODY. Nobody. But I do have a few in mind who could take my place.
And honestly, I’m getting bored with talking about myself. I am so excited to hear from everybody who is cheering me on. If you don’t know me personally, I especially enjoy your insights, and I hope you know your words and experiences can be comforting to others beyond me. If you’re confident enough to post a comment publicly, here is the process:
Underneath my blog posting, Click post a comment > In text box on right, type in Comment > choose anonymous unless you have a pre-existing gmail account> confirm posting
If you would like me to know who you are, but don’t have a gmail account, no worries, just type your name in the text box
Use your comments as a chance to relay your own stories of woe or wonder. We’re all here to support each other.

3 comments:

Meaghan said...

Woo hoo, look I can comment again!!! :) We definitely need to go shopping for fake designer bags and other miscellaneous goods that make us look *so* Hollywood. And then we'll hang out at a trendy martini bar, and when people start staring, we can tell them that we're moms.. And watch them be surprised.. And then dissolve in a fit of giggles, bc that is just the best thing ever.. :)

Anonymous said...

You are getting better and better @ this writing..like a great book..I can't wait to see what you write next. Meaghan says "hollywood"..i am thinking this would make a great movie..with you as the star!! Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Hilliary,

I'm thinking about you as I'm talking to you!

Talk toyou soon.

anna