Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, April 9, 2010

Andy Update


I have aged 10 years in the past four months.
My hair is growing in gray.
My skin in my neck is soft and has developed lines, matching the jowls from my steroid swollen moon face.
I've gained thirty or forty lbs. When you gain that much that quickly, who really keeps count anyway?
I definitely feel like I've aged.
I haven't been carded since the weight and the grays appeared.
I'm easily mistaken for Lexi's mom (my ten year old niece), which in all our years together, I never have been.
I guess I couldn't look like a teenager forever, but did it really have to happen so quickly.
Four months is literally over night.
I've had so much happen recently, these morning quick dates just can't keep you updated.
Let's start with an Andy update.
For those of you who may not know, Andy is X's 6 year old best friend who was diagnosed with Leukemia (AML) about a month ago.
He's been undergoing chemotherapy at CHaD, but was able to come home for a while.
The first month of chemo put andy's leukemia into remission!
Don't get too excited, he still has a long path of treatment to go
It looks like the prep for the bone marrow transplant is going well.
During this period, he traveled to Boston for an assessment and his family signed his transplant consent sheets.
He is now back in the hospital receiving chemotherapy to keep him in remission.
The best chance for a cure happens when the patient receives the transplant while their disease is gone.
Luckily, the chemo to keep him in remission can be given at Dartmouth, close to home. He'll be in the hospital another 4 or 5 days then come home if everything goes well.
Please, everybody keep little Andy in your prayers and hearts.
I'm officially in the throws of treatment again. I'll post more on me later.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Oh Hilary, I am so sorry for X that he has to see anyone else go through cancer... I'm so glad that his friend is doing okay. xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hilary I'm sorry to tell you that the information my Aunt gave you was wrong. Andy has never been in remission and the news we received a couple weeks ago was the complete opposite. The doctors didn't think the chemo worked. They went down to Boston to find out what the next step is which they decided to do a second round of chemo before moving forward with the transplant. I think my Aunt is a little confused since Andy had the opportunity to come home because his levels were high but he's now back in the hospital. -Phaileen