Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, April 30, 2010

Vacation!

I have finally escaped on the mini-vacation I've been pining after since January.
WHEWWWW YOOOO!!!!
A vacation has been elusive for the past couple months.
It was starting to become a foreign concept.
Vacations were like a mythological creature that I'd heard of and sounded beautiful but had never encountered or an activity that I knew existed but would never have the privilege to enjoy.
I wasn't about to allow vacations to become one more thing I lost with my health.
Oh hell no.
I just needed some adjustment time to figure out how it could happen with my current abilities and limitations.
That means last weeks quesi-planned trip to stay at the Waldorf in Manhattan for four days with Xander and Brynn was canceled (or cancered) in exchange for a long weekend in the suburbs.
Hello Westchester.
I've officially transitioned to suburbanite.
Instead of The statue of Liberty, Times Square, and Fifth Ave (all on the agenda from last week) X and I have teamed up with my BF from College, Yanellie, and her two boys to have mother/son bonding time in the form of The Palisades Mall (the second largest mall in America), Kid City, and the beach.
Awwww, the beach. I've been fantasizing about the sand and waves for months. I envision a lot of beach time in my future, lying in the sun with my 100 spf sunblock, wide brimmed hat, large glasses, and tunics while listening to music, the squeals of childhood happiness and crashing waves.
Close your eyes and go there for a second.
It's Friday. It has probably been a long week. Take a second and get yourself centered. You'll feel better.
I know I am.
This is a mother/son bonding weekend since our men are off working, supporting our cushy existence.
Y's husband is in China on business leaving her pregnant with their 4 and 5 year old boys. He designs shoes for coach.
And yes, he is VERY straight.
Hence all the children.
J is working mandatory overtime this weekend.
While the men are away the women will play.
Today is a very special anniversary day for J and I.
Today is the ten year anniversary of our first date ever!
I have been with the same man for a whole decade now!
This should definitely file this under one of life's larger accomplishments.
In this era most marriages don't last ten years. It amazes me that we have been able to live in relative harmony together for this long.
I generally think it's near impossible to get two people to agree on anything, but then there are always the exception to the rules.
I'm especially amazed when a couple agree together to do something absolutely crazy.
For instance, in N. Korea a couple allowed their baby to starve to death while neglecting it to raise a virtual child at an internet cafe. When the baby's body was discovered it was nearly mummified.
J and I had enough trouble on agreeing whether to spank or not to spank, I don't know how two people put their heads together and decide, "Hey, let's ignore our real live, breathing, eating child and head down to the cafe to raise a fake one together."
Crazy is as crazy does.
Someday, sometime, soon, I will tell you the story of how J and I came to be J and I. It is quite the story.
But not today. Today I have plans. I'm on vacation!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be out of touch ... but wanted to wish you a wonderful mini-vacation.

Take care Hill ... & enjoy. See you when you get back.

F