Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, April 12, 2010

I’m suffering from pushing myself yesterday.

I’ll be lying around today, reading, relaxing, and recovering from the body aches and sniffles.

My favorite R’s.

It’s a good day to indulge in my low key hobbies, like making jewelry, watching TV and reading.

I have to admit, I don’t miss working that much. I don’t miss the obligations, the stress and the responsibility.

I’m loving the flexibility I have to relax if I want to, and I’m finally at a prednisone dose where I can relax.

Twenty mg is working out okay for me.

I have a love hate relationship with my prednisone.

One day I’m cursing its existence and necessity, pulling at my cheeks that can be pulled no more, trying to poke in where my dimples once were, wondering how I could go from model thin to a “big girl” virtually overnight.

The next I’m zooming around loving my clean house, making beautiful pieces of art in seconds and hoping I can maintain that feeling forever.

Then I’m back in front of the mirror, critiquing where the latest hair has appeared, wondering if I really have a mustache with sideburns or is it my imagination.

It is not my imagination. Steroids increase testosterone ,which increases the growth of hair, especially facial hair, while doing NOTHING for my sex drive.

It takes an army of nair products (both wax and bleach) to maintain my femininity.

Then again, I can accomplish just about every task my body will allow me, the dishes are done, the dinner is cooked, my home is organized.

On the flipside, I’m always anxious about if these tasks are done properly, if I’ll be able to do them again tomorrow, or if it makes J happy. I’m anxious about everything, because steroids tap into my adrenaline. Everything is life and death and has to be done NOW.

I’m finally sleeping through the night. I’m making that announcement after having two full nights of uninterrupted sleep. That to me is a trend.

It’d probably also be safe to say I have a love hate relationship with my body.

One posting can go from how terrible my body feels to how lucky I am to have it.

It’s a double edged sword, a blessing and a curse.

No comments: