Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Crunch Time


I knew I shouldn't have gone out this am. I was still recovering. My head ached. I was peeing every 10 min. I wanted to fall asleep. 

My chest kept rattling with phlegm, a little souvenir from my intubation fri. It's now monday. You'd think my mind would have recovered. It hasn't. 

With age, multiple surgeries and illness suseptability increases. I'm trying to raise the yellow mucus out of my chest while not vomiting and keeping my eyes open.

 So why would I think I could drive?!  Because meds do that to. You feel capable, a little cocky. You know you're sick, you know you feel awful but add a naggy unhappy 8 year old who wants to hang out with his "best cousin" and won't shut up mentioning it until it happens, you don't know what your capable of.
X even told me not to fall asleep driving before we left, but THAT wasn't going to have to happen.

What was going to happen?

My head was going to pop. I was losing control. Too much sensory information. 

I turned onto Pearl St., where I'd been directed to go, but it was actually Prospect st. I called the babysitter who gave me some more directions and the exact address and description which should have been enough. 

I knew I was in a tizzy, but driving safely with my son. I wasn't speeding. I wasn't doing anything "crazy" except talking on the cell phone trying to get directions not completely paying attention. Yes, I was a total fault for not stopping.

But that one misstep of going to a weird "p" st. sent me onto a bad path. I was on the phone with the babysitter driving straight like I thought I should go when I heard "turn around". 

Exasperated, frustrated, I put the car in reverse seeing the smooth driveway on the right never seeing the ditch on the left. Crunch!! Half my car went over a 3ft brick wall, the other has fine, safely on the driveway.

 I was frustrated. How can I fix a car now? I sobbed in my head.

 I never lost my cool, But i did get tearful. 

I'm lucky to have such strong helpful men who make sure I get through the day. J and Dad came to my rescue faster than AAA could have. C and X were all ready to do it themselves enlisting the help of neighbors. I had to tell them we were fine.

 They lifted my car up. I drove it slowly back onto the rode. My dad took it from there, driving x, c, and me safely home for lunch!! 

A near crisis averted, again. I think my car is safe, no damage done.

No man stands so tall as when they stoop to help a child. - Ab Lincoln. 

No comments: