Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, August 8, 2011

A little rant never hurt anyone


I felt a little guilty after my rant about medical bill collectors. There still is a person in there. I don't want to hurt anybody. I just want a system that is fair and just, a health care culture where the patient is cared for holistically, understanding anything that effects the patient effects the patients health.

This battle has absolutely changed me.
Most the fight in me is now peaceful and focused on my disease, but I know the ONLY reason I can do this is because I have a wonderful loving support group that protects me from the world. It's almost a perk of getting sick young.

I don't feel my spine crawl or my hair standing on end getting upset or angry often and only over causes. I don't scream, holler, or call names much more. I never really was a scream and holler type, but name calling psychological button pushing, yes I'll admit to that. 

I've changed my focus of where that energy goes. 

Thanks for the long response, dear reader. There aren't really any truly innocent groups in the health care game. 

I know there are clinics where doctors are human pez dispensers writing controlled scripts like legal drug dealers to rake in cash. I don't think there are any clean hands in the area of health care where greed and money supercede the patients' best interest.

 The only innocent group, and it can be argued we're not, are the patients. But we patients are the ones pressing frivolous law suits for trillions against hospitals skyrocketing the rates of malpractice coverage. 

Were still the most oppressed, the group closest to being the child caught between a parent's bickering battle. 

Of course, one person never represents a group and a group doesn't represent one person. 

With all this being said, it's official, and I guess it has been for a while. 

I'm a statistic. I'm in THAT group, the ones that don't take presciptions or manipulate them to make it more cost effective. 
Yikes.

I'd really hoped to see the day that patient's no longer had to worry about these issues. Where they were safe and secure. I'm forever thankful to The Obama Administration and everybody that supported Affordable Care. That has given me a huge sense of security knowing that now my treatment won't be stopped because I reach my "debt ceiling" or "insurance maximum" and that I could continue to receive coverage cost effectively if something were to happen to my husband. 

The little that was gained has been a God send, a miracle in itself. I cry when I hear about the laws being torn apart piece by piece.

 In NH, the cigarette tax was repealed. All 10 cents a pack and 9 million plus revenue for the state was cut. The next week tobacco companies increased their prices 10 cents in NH. If the profit margin is there someone should take it. NH lost its catastrophic illness program, it's funding for many state aid programs, such as planned parenthood, all which could have been funded by that income. However, our representatives decided to have higher rates of teen smoking and lower tax revenue. Maybe they figured they'd keep bragging about no sales tax while jacking up our property tax and killing off the sick that can't pay.

Kind of got off the subject here. A little rant never hurt anyone.
Please pray for a solution

No comments: