Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Passing Out Vaso-Vagal Style


I've been passing out. 

As if the nausea and vomiting with bowel issues wasn't enough, the medications I took to combat all these problems, coupled with dehydration, sent my blood pressure plummeting and me along with it. 

Who knows where my normal 90/50 BP (normal is 120/80) dropped to. Maybe 50/30? 

I had my mother holding my elbow everywhere we walked. 

Laurette, probably looking like my partner the way she was so tenderly letting me lean on her and dragging me at the same time, helped when she came to visit. 

But not matter what, the whooziness didn't stop. I couldn't find which way was up so what to do? 

I tried to sleep it off, but when I woke up in the middle of the night to pee, I stood and dropped, groaning. 

Then I did it again, with a thud, then another drop. By this time j had woken up and was carrying me, concerned, to the bathroom. 

There I sat there, confused whether I should poop or not because  the parasympathetic nervous system (vagal) response can be stimulated and drop my BP even more. 



Who knew pooping was a life or death decision. I just kept picturing Elvis who died ass up after vaso-vagaling and dropping his heart rate and BP from excessive prescription drug use.  





 






I didn't want to go out like that.

I decided to call the clinic Mon. to get fluids with steroids and kytril to stop the vomiting. Neither is known to drop BP like ativan or cesamet. 

Thankfully, fluids and steroids was what my body wanted. Now I'm getting better, but after just one chaotic day (it's Thurs. and yesterday was the first day of school), I'm back to feeling a little nauseas, but I'm still eating.

1 comment:

Flowers Delivery In Mumbai said...

So luck to come across your excellent blog. Your blog brings me a great deal of fun.. Good luck with the site.