Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, August 1, 2011

Z and The Cancer Meanie


After years (and I mean YEARS) in creation, it's with great excitement that I announce the upcoming publication of "Z and the Cancer Meanie," a children's tale following a family through the ups and downs of a cancer diagnosis and treatment through the eyes of young Z whose mother has been diagnosed with cancer.

With words adaptable for any person who has been diagnosed, the story answers common questions straight from the real life Z and his friends. With melodic words and vibrant illustrations, Z and the Cancer Meanie will help children of all ages understand what cancer is, diagnosis, hospitals, doctors, nurses, tests, even things as simple as a thermometer and blood pressure cuff.

To facilitate conversation, after the story there is a "fill-in-the-blank" section to help the reader or child identify what they are feeling, how to cope with those feelings, and how to find alternative solutions and/or activities that can still be enjoyed.

Z and The Cancer Meanie will help the whole family become comfortable with discussing cancer, balding, chemotherapy and more so this difficult time together may be a little less difficult.


To see some of the book yourself, get online and see www.wix.com/zandthecancermeanie/book


Z and The Cancer Meanie was written by Hillary St.Pierre, an RN and Hodgkin's patient, who discovered a lack of interesting, entertaining books on cancer while trying to educate her own son during her disease. Z and the Cancer Meaning was written to answer the questions that kept popping up.

Illustrator Chris LoParco brought the words to life like no other children's educational book has before. The family of lions and group of animal characters turn a reading of "Z and the Cancer Meanie" into a relaxing story that can be read anytime.

 You can find more of their works online. Hillary St.Pierre writes a blog www.baldiesblog.blogspot.com and for  The Huffington Post. A novel, Real Women Are Bald, is currently in the works.

Chris LoParco also has an upcoming novel. A Story Told Book can be found at www.astorytoldbook.com as well as contact information for the artist.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a person from the Hodgkin's forum and have been following your posts quietly for years. You are an amazing woman!
Susie

Loraine Ritchey said...

you are one terrific lady, brave , talented and caring - bless your strength of heart Loraine

Anonymous said...

Awesome girl!! Truly AWESOME!!

I'm so proud of you!! As I've told you in the past, I believe the single biggest compliment I can pay a person, is to tell them that they are making a difference. Hillary ... you make a difference ... in spite of the personal challenges you've had to overcome. It makes me proud to be able to count you as a very special person in my life.

You rock girl!!