Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, October 20, 2011

October's Treatment Trip

Once A and I made it in the door, I was happy to discover the hope lodge was a health mecca. The public 6th floor features a library, terrace, grand paino, flat screen tv with a wii and dvds provided, a yoga room, full kitchen and lounge area where different classes occur. People were learning to knit when we arrived, which was my hobby of choice during my first transplant. It was great because it can be done while sedentary then stopped and started again easily. It keeps your hands occupied easing the steroid jitters with something other than shoving food in your mouth. Learning, in general, keeps your mind stimulated, helping to fight the mysterious side effect of chemo brain. Knitting made me feel like I was still capable of contributing to the world and creating beautiful things, both ideas cancer robbed me of. Come to find out, that was just the scheduled event for that day. There are events everyday. Today A and I are getting a free dinner made for us, because that is they're having tonight at dinner. Thank goodness because money is tight. We packed up plenty of food to defer costs, but nothing replaces a healthy meal promoting healing. Had treatment not interfered, I would have taken part in the cancer societies' beauty program, which shows patients how to apply make up to hide any trouble spots and even gives up to $200 in free make up. The big surprise happened we finally made it to our room, a nyc room that is wheelchair accessable!! This makes me wonder iIf all the room are large for everybody to move arond in? With that and the friendly staff, the lodge has exceeded expectations.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

beauty said...

Indeed a very nice post and I am a devoted orthodontist reader at Las Vegas.Your post is really very valuable and I have now subscribed the same, keep up the good posting.