Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, October 28, 2011

Recovering

It's been a week since therapy in NYC, and I'm still recovering. I've haven't felt so miserable and exhausted surrounding this treatment before. Even today, J, X, and I had our first family counseling (ha, I misspelled that as consoling session) today, and I couldn't stay awake. I was nodding off like I did as a kid in pre-requisite biology, except today I didn't want to! How our family interacts and collaborates is a huge concern of mine. I want x to feel comfortable with someone beyond me. Even now, writing this, I'm having trouble staying awake. Why the difference? The therapy could have a compiling/ cumulative effect in my body; one treatment, stacks on another, stacks on another making side effects more prominent. It could be this, or it could be I didn't get the rest I need surrounding treatment. I over extended myself actually. I coached x's soccer team tues, left early weds for nyc. Then that's where the pushing really started. We rested at a friend's, shopped, checked into Hope Lodge, then celebrated a friends birthday. We were out early Thurs. in chintown then up through SOHO, 15 blocks away. It was then my kidneys started to bleed, and they haven't stopped since causing me blood loss anemia. I've got the steak out tonight. Maybe I just need iron, maybe I need a transfusion who knows. Even the day after treatment instead of treating myself well and relaxing my grouchy chemo-riddled self played tour guide. Too much too early allows does this to me. I have some simple guidelines to keep myself healthy. They are rest and nutrition in the days before and after treatment. No overexerting. Prepare your body by pretending it's sick. Then, absolutely, take it easy with early bedtimes and naps. Snack frequently and don't over exert! But I did it to myself again, and I've paid by leaving pumpkinfest early from my grouchy attitude, migraine and side pain, sleeping all Sun, napping mon. And tues, making me feel completely useless. Finally weds. I was up for some domestic duties, but those bit me in the ass at that meeting. Oh well, I just can't roll like I did in college.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

Loraine Ritchey said...

Hillary when Chris was on the trial of SGN 35 ( is that what you are now on? - it was after about the 3rd treament he started having more prounced side effects - pain in his joints was the major one... and the nurse did tell us that it would build in his system somewhat..... I will tell you that because he didn't want to be kicked off the trial as he was told by the Cleveland Clinic Dr. it was his "only hope for a cure" ( we had to go to Texas) those daily reports he filled out he lessened the impact it was having on his system............. Loraine