Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cancer My Plans

All of you who suggested that I may, possibly get sick from not getting the H1N1 shot soon enough, or from getting it at all, or from just being your paranoid selves, you win. You were right. I am now sick.
Sick enough that yesterday at 6:45 am I woke up with a temperature of 102.7, shaking chills, and sweats.
As per orders, I took some motrin and hauled myself (well, my mom hauled me) to the emergency room.
I definitely would have preferred to be South of Boston with my sister shopping and drinking, but with most my plans, those were cancered.
Recently everything is getting cancered: my Emerging Medical Technology meeting at the Dept. of Health- Cancered, playdates- cancered, my love life-cancered, plans for every weekend since labor day-cancered (except for Nicole’s wedding and only because the doctor’s gave me a reprieve to live, not because I was healthy).
I’m not feeling so bitter about this today. I’m feeling good.
Either the pathological process occurring in my body would not have become life threatening or I came to the hospital early enough to get my tamiflu and fluids.
I was subject to another nasal washing where I got to lean my head back and hold my breath while a respiratory tech squirted saline up my nose and back out again.
As fun as this was (think about when you swim and suck the pool up your nose), I’m not begging for a repeat, but I may just be getting another round though since the sample only contained saline.
I think this would probably be useless, I’m all ready being treated and behaving under the guise that I have the flu, or at least a minor reaction to the shot.
Because I personify Murphy’s Law, I had scheduled my H1N1 shot for Friday (and no, I’m not telling where I got it for fear of riots) then on Thursday several kids from X’s class went home due to fevers. I thought about hiding from my son, but more likely than not he had already been exposed, and so had I.
Low and behold here I am, another weekend- cancered.
But I’m not to upset. How could I be? I’m in remission. I just need to iron out the kinks of my poor body. I’m still spiking temperatures so I don’t know if I’ll be released today.
In even better news, Ashley’s (http://www.blissfulbaldie.com/) was released from the hospital only 9 days after her transplant! Now she is someone I should have filmed. Talk about a rock star, idol of a Hodgkin’s patient.
Ashley departed the hospital to move back into an apartment she shares with several room mates in Keene, NH.
If the holiday spirit strikes you, please visit her site and donate. Being 22 years old, independent, and unable to work she has a lot of anxiety regarding how she will survive until her social security disability kicks in.
For everybody who is anti-reform, please know that social security has been my only means of economic survival through my disease process. The disability insurance I did have purged me. The Government has done better by me than any for-profit business. From a business perspective, I am a bad investment, one big cost sucker.
Ashley is in the same boat and Right now, all she needs is to worry about getting better.

No comments: