Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Name is Murphy


I think I may change my name to Murphy. This way everybody can have my circumstances explained to them quickly and easily, “This is Murphy, I’m sending her to you for a. ... stem cell transplant, wedge resection, radiation therapy, picc line insertion….. Just to warn you, everything bad that could happen will with her. It’s just Murphy’s Law.”

This way people won”t be blindsided when they try to do a relatively easy procedure, say a thorascopic biopsy, and have it plagued with rare, terrible side effects like air leaks, pneumothorax, severe dyspnea (that’s shortness of breath), and not to mention the fact that the biopsy yielded NOTHING to guide treatment.

Sounds like Murphy’s law to me.

Yesterday I finally did get a tidbit to help my lungs: Use my oxygen. This will help with the re-epansion of my lung by helping with diffusion across the lung tissue. The higher the levels of oxygen in my blood stream the less my lungs have to work.

I hadn’t been using my oxygen frivolously (only when I couldn’t breathe, folks) since I thought overuse of oxygen could incite these crazy free-radicals that cause cancer.

I know they sound like good cells, and I always did think my body was one big free radical, but their not.

I saw my DHMC team yesterday, I was blessed with both Marc and Anna, only to learn that no, the area of my lung with the pneumothorax may never heal. I may always have a little pneumo.

I’m seeing a pulmonologist that will probably say to just wait and watch my disease process as long as it doesn’t show signs of progression.

Alyea was so worried about my lungs and bronchiolitis obliteranshe was ready to send me for lung transplantation.

I think I’ll stick to my inhaler and expand my “pneumowacky” alternative meds, seeing as modern medicine has very little else to offer.

Today, SURPRISE, I have a PET scan.

I’ll keep you updated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lung transplant? Good thing God blessed you with an exact DNA match at birth that is willing to give up her extra lung for you. If you think you might need it you should start sucking up by coming to visit me this weekend :)