Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, November 20, 2009

Flu Fighting Tips


HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!

Vic is turning 29 again! Come celebrate with us tonight at Vic & Nancy’s house 6pm.

The flu is not as easy as I originally expected.

It’s all fun and games when you’re in the hospital being waited on hand and foot having my every need meticulously watched 24/7 and catered to.

I can honestly say, when you have the flu, the hospital is the place to be.

I miss the TLC from the nursing staff, who have also really become my friends.

I get my bed changed daily. Three hot meals delivered to my bedside.

Of course, not everything can be perfect.

Jake, if you’re reading, the shower needs to be fixed in 106 on 1 West.

When it’s turned to hot it loses pressure and does not turn hot.

I scrubbed up in the sink because it was warmer with more flow.

But I have the flu so I was really not concerned at all with my cleanliness.

The only hygienic problem bothering me now is the nasty haliosytosis (that’s medical speak for bad breath) I have from my constantly runny nose, post nasal drip, and possible lung involvement.

Did you know you can taste it when you have pneumonia?

At least I can and I’ve heard f other cases where others have as well.

I am also being careful to keep my snot rags contained.

Where ever I go my box of tissues, bottle water, and plastic bag follows.

I’ll confess that usually I just make one big mess throwing tissues all around my surrounding area.

I have it pretty dan good here to though.

Becky came over Weds., braving the possibility of virus hanging around my house to give me a clean place and fresh sheets. Everybody, please just take a second, pause, and think how awesome Becky is.

As far as dinner goes, J’s got that for me.

It’s time I admit that I do get served dinner in bed, and whatever need it is I have after I declare “bedtime,” which could be as early as 5:30pm, he takes care of.

I’m feeling really well cared for.

So you’d think taking care of breakfast and lunch would be just fine, but the fatigue has fastened my ass straight to the couch.

I watched a “Project Runway” marathon today and took a nap.

My goal was to declutter the kitchen, but I didn’t get very far.

My head says I should feel well, but my body is just not cooperating.

This has to be the most frustration disparity all human kind faces and trust me, I know about it.

There are so many things I want to do and think I can do and then when I actually do them, watch out, I’ve nearly killed myself.

That whole mind over matter thing was definitely created by a healthy person.

Anybody with a debilitating chronic illness knows that sometimes your body is pulling the strings.

The ideation that people, through thought and desire alone, can cure themselves or even rehab themselves is insanity, and to be honest, it adds to the pressure of showing a strong face and denying what the body is telling a person it needs.

It can be harmful if caregivers or loved ones take this stance by adding stress to an already difficult situation.

But that’s a whole rant that has been bottled up inside for years.

It’s coming out now since I’m Miss Cranky Pants with the flu.

Some quick tips to be in the best shape possible to battle the flu: Get lots of rest and stay away from other people

- Drink at least six cups of clear fluids daily; drinking tea works as a diuretic to flush out your system. Echinacea will help with some immune boosting action.

- Take over-the-counter aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve fever, headache and muscle aches (Do not give aspirin to children and teens under age 20). Saline nose drops or nasal decongestants are also useful.

- Raise the humidity in your home (use a humidifier or sit in the bathroom with hot shower running)

- Sleep with your head elevated

- Gargle with salt water (1/4 teaspoon salt in eight ounces of warm water) 4 times a day. Suck on hard candy to relieve a sore throat or try my favorite mixture of a tbsp. honey with a tsp. of lemon juice heated.

- Take a steamy shower

- Avoid sugar which affects the body by impairing your immune response.

- Avoid alcohol and anything else that may dehydrate you.

Now, I’ll go back to my red watering eyes and tissues.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

So sorry you are feeling icky, Hilary! xoxo