Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Never say never and other words of wisdom


A New Year Prayer



"God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do,
And the eyesight to tell the difference."



Never ever say never, ever.

Never say never because that line in the sand gets erased and pushed back. Situations change. There is no telling what the future has in store, and No one knows their potential until they meet their match.

I never ever in a thousand years thought I would just want a quiet, normal, event- free new year. 

But I do. 

It was only a few years ago I thought ordinary was the enemy, because if you were ordinary, then you couldn't be extraordinary. I feared the monotony of routine and worried about sinking into the humdrum lifestyle of a rural mother, having one day blur into the next with very little to distinguish the two.

Now, what I wouldn't give to be "normal", "ordinary," or "boring" even.

I've been working out what I've learned over these past couple of years, mostly to pass on to X or Lex in the future, but today, I feel like cueing you all in.

Here are a few other things I wish I'd known:

Hill's Words of Wisdom



Where ever you are, what ever you are doing, enjoy it, if only for the experience it is.
DON’T LET YOUR PERSONAL problems INTERFERE WITH your professional life and don’t let your professional life become a personal problem.
When in doubt, don’t.
Learn to control your emotions or they will control you.
When fighting, remember, it is not about being right, it’s about being happy.
Establish yourself so you can live comfortably independently. You never know what will happen in life, and it’s a great feeling knowing you can succeed on your own.
You can be independent while having loving relationships.
Before seriously dating, know exactly what you want from height, build, family background to talent, Education, and work status. If you go shopping without an item in mind, you’re likely to bring home something you don’t like and want to return. The same is true with dating.
You’ll never get what you want if you don’t know what you want.
Make what you love to do for vacation your vocation and you’ll never work a day in your life.
Know the difference between needs and wants.
Know your means and live within them.
A penny saved is a penny earned.
 
Make your money work for you.
Follow your heart, but still listen to your gut.
If you are questioning whether someone is a true friend or not, they’re probably not.
Be civil and friendly to everyone, you never know what position you all will be in one day.
Grudges, anger, jealousy, and hate do more damage to your self than the person the feelings are aimed towards.
Forgive AND FORGET.
Never stop learning. Read books. Take classes.
Take chances. You miss one hundred percent of opportunities you don’t take.
It’s better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.
It’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Treat others the way you want to be treated and the favor will be returned.
Never say, write, text, film, etc. anything that you wouldn’t want hollered down a full hallway or written across the front page of The Huffington Post.
Think for yourself and act accordingly. Dance like nobody is watching. Sing like nobody is listening.
Nobody becomes successful by himself or herself. Embrace others offers to help. It's a strength to understand your interdependence with others. 
Help those you can.
Learn to love spreading joy, even if it’s just through a smile. It’s proven spreading a bad mood by yelling at someone does not make you feel any better and it hurts someone else.
Always ask questions. Curiosity is the spice of life.
And of course, never say never.
 
 

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Amazing. Outstanding. Provocative and Profound. Thanks, Hillary. I plan to share this with everyone I can and reread it until I get every one of them down. Prayers and blessings this New Year.