Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, January 7, 2011

Vaccine Day: Guess who's 12 months?

My favorite wacko theory regarding the sudden massive deaths of blackbirds in Louisiana and Arkansas:
 "It's those racist green energy wind turbines! They have to be racist... they only killed blackbirds.... in Arkansas no less! and I bet the wind turbines were white as well!" -cg68doc

I thought I'd hit a writing rut all ready. 
I thought I was getting boring and uninteresting. 
Maybe I am. 
I can only hope. 
But then again, maybe not. 
X played with Andy over the weekend.
 For those of you who are new, andy was x's 1st grade best friend who was diagnosed with leukemia last Feb. He underwent a "so far so good" bone marrow transplant at Boston Childrens. 
Now, He looks so cute! He grew during his treatment (growth can stop completely) and his hair is black and curly!
 It was great to see him looking like a growing school age boy.
He had his port out and quickly whipped up his shirt to show me that he didn't have it anymore, and then, I showed him (without whipping up my shirt) I didn't have mine anymore. 
I have to say, I really have a special love for Andy. I'm so happy to see him doing well.
He is even well enough that we can start doing play dates back and forth. We talked about starting this Friday, but he's headed to Boston, so maybe not.
 Then his mom tells me he's going to Boston friday to get his vaccines!! 
Wait a second!
I don't even have my vaccines. 
I have nothing. No chicken pox. No pertussus. I could die whooping it up (from bordatella pertussus or whooping cough). 
I don't even have my pneumonia or flu vaccines! 
And if there is a time to get them, it's now after my sabbatical from chemo. I'm almost the healthiest I'll be.
So I decided to get the ball rolling with my heme team Dr. G. DHMC finished writing their post-transplant vaccination protocol recently, and I get the luxury of testing it out.
DHMC's transplant department is relatively new (in the past 10 years). Currently they only do auto-transplants or perfectly matched allos. Not all Doctors have experience with allo transplants or graft vs. host disease, but they have been fabulous in meeting my needs if or when a problem arises. So they haven't really needed a protocol before, but as of today, I, too, will have my 12 month old shots. 
And for those of you who haven't been keeping up with the medical world, I'm getting them with the newfound, scientifically proven knowledge, that I will be safe and will not contract autism from them and neither will your little one.
The leading scientist showing a connection between vaccines and autism has been not only discredited, but lost his license to practice over the fabrication of evidence in his scientific trials. 

No comments: