Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, February 11, 2011

Cambridge Who's Who


I was recently notified via email that I had been nominated for Cambridge Who's Who.

The email shared very little beyond this. It didn't give me any idea of who or where the nomination came from.

I've always been weary of these acalades. 

They're awards, but you have to pay to receive the goods.

 This makes it unclear to me whether it really is something worth bragging about or a very effective sales gimmick.

A quick search of the internet yielded the same indeterminate thoughts.

With me being unclear and feeling a little sassy, I started to fill out my portion of the nomination application.

 I took it seriously at first. I typed in my college honor societies' Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Theta Tau (you had to pay to join those too), but by the end, all that seriousness was gone.

 I wanted to join Cambridge Who's who "for fun" among other things. 

So imagine my surprise when I received a phone call to interview me about my "accomplishments." 

I never know what to say to this. 

I haven't followed any linear pattern or any beaten path. 

I wouldn't call my cancer diagnosis an "accomplishment."

I've followed my heart, the best route, and that doesn't give awards recognized outside my little world.

I tried to answer anyway: I was an ICU/CCU/ER RN. I'm a professional patient. I advocate. I write. My blog was ranked in the top ten by The American Cancer Society as a patient resource. 

Bla-ditty-blah-blah-blah. 

I hate bragging. 

That's when the interview started to get interesting.

 By the time the interviewee asked me a multiple choice, "why would you most like to receive this award?" (Again, making me suspicious. Multiple choice? Or are they just trying to put reasons to purchase in my head?)

I chose "other" of course and said, "because it'd make me happy!" Laughing.

 I was immediately accepted (again, making me suspicious), and she launched into all the exciting goodies before seamlessly transitioning to cost.(Hmmm, again my spider senses tingle) 

What agency has their judges do both their interviews, their acceptances, and their sales? 

Then I was told the cost. 

Way to pee on my cornflakes. 

She quickly offered me the price for nonprofits. 

I took it, whincing. I hadn't ben able to afford the awards in college. 

I still can't now. 

I thought I would have progressed financially. 

Luckily, getting rich has nothing to do with progressing as a decent human being and now I can say I'm one of Cambridge's Who's Who. 

Who knew? 

No comments: