Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Getting Out of the V-Day Rut


You know you're losing your mojo when you're considering asking your husband if sweat pants are ok for valentines' day dinner. 

Maybe you're even worse when, without discussion due to tradition, you both decide to forego getting the other a gift, opting instead to save the money for "other things."

 No cards, no flowers, no candy, barely any acknowledgement. 

Our Valentine's Day apathy even trickled down to our son,  Xander, who refused to buy valentines despite girls popping up all over  fighting for the "girl friend" title. 

Somehow, though, we finally broke out of our Valentines day rut.

 After school, I took x out for a mother/son date. I let him choose what he wanted to do.

I let him play "king of the mt" after school and bought him a book. 

 We planned everything on a whim, because who can really plan around me? 

X and I both reminisced back to our last VDay date, too many years back to recall when, but I could still eat at chinese buffets.

X said he knew I was up to something when I picked him up with my little perma-smile. 

That surprise was a celtics jersey, customized with Lightning #74 (the sum of Kobe, Carter, and Rondo's #'s I'm told). 

X's on a "I'm going to play pro" kick, and we're supporting him. He hasn't put the basketball down without a fight since he got the jersey.

Thank you coupons.

I did drag myself out of the sweatpant rut and put on an outfit J liked. 

We tried for a restuarant where we had gift certificates, but they were closed for monday. We got pizza instead, and had some great family bonding. 

I even left my phone at home. X has been anxious since my illness last week, but I think that's over for now. 



Thank you Valentines' day. 

No comments: