Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, December 29, 2009


Dec. 26

I made it to, and through, another Christmas!

We’ve had a really exciting, nonstop, past couple of days.

After my appointment on the 22nd I’ve been steadily starting to feel better.

The steroids have done wonders for my lungs. The mucousy frothing in the morning had gone away by day two. My chronic cough is now mostly done, and for the first time in four or five months (who’s counting?), I can take a deep breath.

I can do the little things that make life worth living, like talk, joke and enjoy myself.

Yes, those small enjoyments had left me. I didn’t have the energy to breathe and speak. I was constantly reminding myself to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth or to walk more slowly, one step in front of the other.

I was trying to retrain my body in terms of my most recent disability. I’d never before encountered a disability I couldn’t compensate for.

I finally met my match.

I can honestly say I’m perfectly content and happy staying on steroids forever if I never, ever have to suffer the way I have been again.

Being manic, hairy, and puffy with compression fractures is better than slowly wasting away on the couch.

It’s better to burn out than to fade away.

I’ve still been sleeping a significant amount, but I’ve been enjoying my naptimes since they’re now surrounded with activities like going to the movies or seeing friends.

I’ve also been able to socialize again, which has always been my favorite holiday pastime. I’ve seen my three best friends from high school for some bonding time. Heather and her family came in, along with Grace, Patrick and my grandparents.

It’s been a nonstop parade around here.

No comments: