Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Happy Belated Birthday

Happy Belated Birthday to three of my favorite femme fatales: Yanellie, Brynn and Jill, who all celebrate their birthdays on Dec. 8, the same day as The Assumption of Mary.
I'm still recovering from my whirlwind weekend and trek to Boston on Monday to see the Sex Santa (aka Dr. Goldstein) who's job it is to restore my healthy, happy sex life by Christmas.
I'm heading up to DHMC today for a follow-up appointment regarding the plan of attack in the battle against my graft vs. host disease, and tomorrow, I may go shopping before Brynn's par-tay.
Busy, Busy, Busy
I continue to be babysat.
Yes, you read right.
I had more independence when I was 19 years old.
Except, when I was 19 years old, I didn't vomit daily in public and stop breathing spontaneously.
This weekend instead of being allowed to visit my friends' houses on Saturday, I was relegated to the hotel (not so bad, it was The Waldorf), except for dinner the group decided to trek to Grand Central Station.
I could have gone to the hotel bar, but if you've ever been to a hotel bar you're probably aware that it's a meat market.
A hotel bar would be the back drop setting for a reality series entitled "Men Behaving Badly." They're rich. They're single for the weekend, and they have private rooms.
Need I say more?
I think I would have been safer in Harlem, though as far as infection protection, I'm in a good place.
Since I'm still being babysat for my own protection, Jon is taking me to my appointment at DHMC today. It's important to my family that all information is registered and that there isn't anything I could "hide" from them (their words, not mine).
Yes, I do "hide" information for their protection. Not everybody needs to deal with the seriousness of my disease; however, I guess they would like to.
As for feeling jaded, unfortunately depression goes hand in hand with the suffering I have endured.
I just need to remember why I started writing in the first place, to give my disease and the young people who struggle with all aspects of surviving a voice.
For every person who feels they can take advantage of my site as a public forum without abiding by simple boundaries there are five survivors or sufferers who quietly email looking for guidance.
I hope during this season you will all think of and pray for them.

No comments: