Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, March 2, 2009

GO COCKS!

This title can be taken in so many different ways, and yes, in general, I cheer for COCKS.
All you readers and your dirty minds need to get yourselves under control. All I am talking about is that it was high time I became a HUGE USC COCKS fan.
Thank you University of South Carolina’s Women’s Soccer Team for thinking of me and sending me a home game jersey.
I am thrilled I get to be an honorary member. I’m already jumping out of my seat cheering for you.
I’m happy to know you’re all cheering for me.
To be honest, I thought my next Jersey would be from UMASS Amherst (Maybe next time Coach and Mrs. Coach?), and I did have a little plan to recruit some more goods from New England Colleges since Uncle Scottie got me hooked on the college soccer circuit.
This is unexpected, and I LOVE IT!
Maybe you knew this, and maybe you didn’t, but during the chemotherapy preparation for my first transplant in 2006 I decided I “hated hospitals and “would never be a nurse again.” I decided I was junking my education and “becoming a soccer coach.”
I was so adamant about this that I would tell everyone that entered the room: nurses, attendings, residents, friends, family (especially my husband, so he was clear on the subject), and clergy that I was going to be a SOCCER COACH, not a nurse, when I got better. I was NEVER setting foot in a hospital again!
My KSC Soccer jacket now boasts an embroidered “Coach Hillary.” There have been many a “Coach St.Pierre” leading the Owls before.
I want to thank you all for your support and let you know I have had a HUGE GRIN since I received it from Lee, who leads one of my favorite local stomping grounds, Preferred Building Systems, the only energy star modular home building company in New England. Check them out at http://www.preferredbuildings.com/
Little did I know that his son, Assistant Coach Mat at USC, would recruit his girls to show a baldie some love.
I hope I can keep coaching you all on how I play the game of life for a long time from now, and if you’re ever getting a stomping, just remember your girl “Tenacious D.” I’ll be sure to remember you.

No comments: