Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day


I think today is going to be a good day, and I'm not just talking about drinking green beer and parading around.

Health care reform forums are being held around New England. There is a meeting in the Davis Room at UVM in Burlington today regarding national health care. Gov. Douglas of Vt. and Gov. Patrick of Mass. will be in attendance.

It is also rumored, according to channel 5 news, that ralliers both in favor of and opposed to universal health care will be meeting outside.

I will be in Concord, NH at the statehouse advocating for the creation of a statewide uncompensated care fund.

Uncompensated care is the financial gap between what it costs the hospital to treat a person and the amount a patient is required to pay vs. what the insurance companies, specifically medicaid, will reimburse.

If you didn't know, let me tell you, There is a huge difference between the two.

I liken the process to the moral equivalent of a building contractor submitting a bid to complete a specific job which is contractual agreed upon between consumer and business owner. After the work is completed the person states, despite the contractual agreement they will only pay a portion of the costs.

The remaining difference will have to be dealt with by the business.

Businesses are not allowed to be run in this manner. Our health care reimbursement industry should not be allowed to function in this manner.

The gap for Children's Hospital at Dartmouth alone is projected to be 10 million in the next 2 years.

You can use your imagination as to where I stand about this. I'll make it more clear later.

After my speech, I'll be heading straight to an appointment at Dana Farber. I spiked a small temperature yesterday with respiratory problems and was unable to be seen by a qualified local provider.

My fever spiked to 101.5 last evening. Upon speaking to my doctor last evening he advised some levaquin to control what may be a bacterial infection.

This was at 7:30 when no pharmacies and no local offices are open. I would have had to go to the emergency department (Hey people!), be assessed, and have the dose dispensed from there.

The co-payment for the emergency department is $100. The co-payment to see a provider is $25.

Also, I was not emergent, and I really wanted to make my speech.

I decided to get through the night, make my speech, and head to Boston for care. This morning my temperature is 101.8. I don't feel so well, but I am determined to make my thoughts known.

Cheers to living! Drink some green beer and toast to my ability to keep on keepin' on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you today girl! You will kick some politician butt down in Concord, then you are going to go kick cancers ass at "the farber."
I'll call you tonight to see how you are doing! :)

Anonymous said...

Hillary,
I'm with you today as you make your speech! I hope you are feeling better and got the right meds to help you. Go Green!!
Eileen