Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, May 1, 2009

Good Lookin'

I’m looking good today.
I’ve decided I AM going to look good.
I’ve dawned my newly bought lymphoma blue Hepburn style dress (in a size 0, no less, now that makes me feel like a hottie).
I have a relatively newly purchase off white silk cardigan with chiffon ruffles to warm myself.
I’ve put on a big statement piece necklace that matches my outfit, and favorite color, perfectly. Let’s give a big hand and thanks to Bryn for finding an artisan who creates gorgeous pieces that matches my style.
Snaps all around.
I’m not wearing the matching earrings. I’d be going a little too matchy matchy with that. I have in my down home, earlobe size diamond studs that I haven’t allowed to leave my ears in ages.
They belong there to be kept safe.
Except, if I really wanted to keep them safe I would hide them far from me. I had to ask my husband to stop with the expensive jewelry years ago.
I’m just not mature or adult enough to have expensive things. I will lose them. They will never be seen again.
Then, I’ll hide it from my husband like I would a scolding mother.
No more crown jewels for this lady of the manner.
That’s how I feel today, like a lady of the manner, a madame of society.
I am definitely a “lady who lunches.”
That’s the whole reason I’m dressed up.
I needed some special time with a long time friend.
His dad died recently.
My friend died recently.
We are getting together for lunch to be sad together.
Or we’re getting together for lunch to pretend we are not sad, move on the best we can, and have some fun.
Since he has been so integral in caring for me in these past few hard years, asking only that when he suffers in old age at the nursing home that I come by with my bright smile and wink to make all the other geezers jealous, I decided to start with making him feel good early.
I’m dressing up pretty for lunch.
I think it will be good for both of us.
I’m putting my face on, with make-up!
This isn’t something you’ll see frequently. I have had a long standing policy that I don’t have a need for make-up, since it is still just me, in color.
If you want to see me in color, go find Heather.
My personality is also pretty colorful.
But today I’m adding more.
I think it’s therapeutic to, every once and while, pretend you’re high class and dress the part from head to toe.
That’s what I’ll be doing today, playing classy upper society lady.
As for plans, I’m going to Best Buy to find the ONE DAMN CORD that has prevented me from downloading my videos!
If you’ve been wondering why you haven’t seen my family and I in our daily silly activities, it’s because I lost one single cord.
I can not tell you how irritating and frustrating this is to have four other separate cords but since one is missing the whole process goes caput.
I’m going to fix it today, but first, of course, I need to find the equipment I do have.
Even though I had the video camera yesterday, I can’t find it this morning. I think it’s in Jon’s car.
I do have the rest of the incomplete set of cords. These are all coming with me to best Buy.
What a little, grating, irritating inconveniences.
Are you all feeling me on this?
I’m also hoping to swing by Borders to check out Micheal J. Fox’s new book, Always Looking up.
Micheal J. Fox is a hero. He is my hero. I saw his book tour interview on Oprah and I understand him.
He has taken his disease process and used it for all the good it is worth.
This man deserves kudos, snaps, and standing ovations.
Needless to say, I think his book it a must read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suggest you looked even more awesome in person ... & I have the pictuers to prove it!! What a bright spot you added to my day girl!! I think you are the real reason the sun comes up in the morning ... just so it can see what you are up to. Thank you for a wonderful day ... & for all the laughs. You're the greatest Hill!!
F