Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, May 4, 2009

So Much to Write So Little Time


So much to write and so little time.
Good news is, I am feeling better than I have in years.
The bad news is I now want to do EVERYTHING I haven’t been able to accomplish in the past three years while I’ve been struggling with my illness.
I have been incredibly productive with my steroids.
I want to thank Dr. Alyea and Melissa C. again for prescribing those nasty little buggers.
I really did need them, even if I don’t like the whole picture.
The small picture is these have given me a quality of life I forgot I could ever have. I have felt so terrible for so long misery had become my functioning normal.
This is what it is. I do what I can, but now I remember how I was and who I am sans illness.
I am an active, strong out doors woman who loves to explore.
I enjoy working and contributing.
One of the first things on my “to-do” list as I began feeling better was get back to helping my dad with his business in energy efficient home building and construction management.
He developed the company five years ago and has decided it is time to increase his exposure.
We’re doing an ad campaign!
Advertising, marketing, etc. has always been my niche, my thing, my hobby.
As soon as I get healthy enough, I lend my talents to Vic.
He is my father, and my parents do support me in a huge way, when I get better, I like to help them.
It’s fun to be part of a business.
Now, I get to say, I am coordinating an advertising campaign!!! My first two creations are due on Weds. to TV Media.
You can see the one project I coordinated since July. That is http://www.5eaglesdesign.com/ This is our business site.
My fabulous friend from college, Samneang, designed it.
Samneang does have her very own marketing business out of Queens, New York if you are impressed by her work. She has done work for MTV, A&E, The History Channel, just to name a few.
I am impressed by her. I love her work.
Of course, she is a very good friend, I would never say anything but the best about her.
We met the very beginning of freshman year in page lay-out and design class at The College of New Rochelle. We were both Communications majors at the time. We spent many hours bonding in the Mac Lab over our designs.
I think our advisor would be happy to know that even today we continue to collaborate over our designs, not because we are assigned to, but because we’re friends and enjoy it.
So this week, I am “working.” I have a J-O-B! I am being productive. I am so excited. I feel like I am joining a semblance of the real world instead of this alternate universe I have been stuck in.
Unfortunately, alongside my work this week, my Aunt Priscilla (St.Pierre) died of cancer. Our family is in town planning her arrangements.
She was married to my pepere’s (grandfather’s) brother, Leo, until his death. She remarried after his death and was again widowed.
She never stopped enjoying life. I will always remember her big smile and bright eyes that would light up when she saw me.
As a child, my twin and I were dubbed “Hillary and Heathery” by her.
As an adult, I would run into her at the “McDonald’s Club” in Claremont when I was dragging Xander and his friends in for playtime on the only indoor playground in the area, and she was stationed with the seniors drinking their coffee, a group that included my grandmother in-law, Dorothy “Dot” Ford and Grandfather in-law (from my husbands other side of the family, confused yet?) Howard Stevens.
Both these beloved grandparents are deceased now also.
They were definitely a fun group making the best of their free time and golden years. This is what I am remembering about them this week, the fun they had enjoying their free time.
I’m going to go enjoy mine.

No comments: