Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, July 27, 2010


Don't under estimate the impact of a father telling his little boy to "watch out" for his mom while he's away. 

That job is taken seriously. 

I didn't even know the responsibility bestowed on x until my mom tried to separate us so I could take a nap. 

That request was met with a big screaming, "Nooooooo!!" It took a second to figure out if he should be punished for being disrespectful, seeing as he'd never reacted like that before or search for the root cause. 

That"s when we were told about x's job for the week. 

I was wondering why he was playing all my board games and card games so pleasantly by my side.

 I quickly explained to him "time off" and gave him a lot of it, though he's still pretty attentive.

 I am enjoying miley reruns with lots of uno and war games now.

 I finally got to attend a soccer game, which I've been sleeping through from the chemo. 

I got to see x score 3 goals in a 3-2 win over one of the strongest teams. 

I never thought I'd take 7 year old soccer so seriously but x wanted to win. He was busting his ass to do it.

 I love watching him, especially when he moves like me, even though he's never been taught. That's the magic of having a child.

I may get him into a soccer camp for next week. He seems to love it. It's a great outlet.

He seems to take it a little too seriously though; hence, the near break down when my mom and I mistated that he only scored two goals and not all three in yesterdays game.

My goodness.
I don't know how he'll survive only scoring two goals. 
I have a little perfectionist on my hands.
I can confidently state: this is not entirely my fault.
I try to get the kid to chill, but he takes these things very seriously.
Hmmmmm, he does get this perfectionism flaw from both sides, but I'd hoped it would hold off until, say, high school or so. 

I've been lucky that he's had Reading camp through the school this summer and then we were able to go camping as a family together. Now I think maybe a soccer camp could be in order and I'm planning what I hope to make an annual trip to the coast for J and my birthday.

Good things. Good things, but it is still up in the air as to who is takign  care of who.

1 comment:

Loraine Ritchey said...

Hey mum... not a good thing to take away his "hat trick" :) there are certain goals they remember for all time and some we remember too - he sounds like a wonderful, creative and caring little boy who will grow in a fine young man because he comes from good stock! Loraine