Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Joe Chemo

Dr. G and I put our heads together and decided on a plan of action that I think may have even surprised ourselves a little.

After four years, I am well away of the style of doctor he is. HE is an all-out, in-it-to-win-it type of guy. When there is a cancer there, he wants it gone, quickly, then he'll gently back off and watch closely.

This went well wih my balls-to-the-wall, do-or-die attitude I attacked my disease with.
I didn't know how it would go over with my new mind frame: to treat quickly and efficiently, but with the least side effects possible.
The velbam did not give me the least side effects possible.
Actually, it did the opposite, it sent me straight up to the hospital and gave me no healthy rest time between treatments.
It is also postponing my yearly beloved camping trip.
I was going into the office giving this chemo a big D-.
What it did have going for it was that it shrunk one of my tumors with just its one treatment.
That is a major bonus.
That one factor is what kept the drug on the bargaining table.
So guess what we went with.
Yes, the vinblastine, with lots of medications to ward off side effects.
The velbam dose was cut in half. Prior to its administration I was given benadryl and decadron.
Friday, I took 10 mg of decadron along with my normal 10 of prednisone and also added in 25 mg pf benadryl for good measure.
This was alongside the arsenal of anti-emetics: marinol and ativan plus pain control.
I'm treating my mouth as if it is all ready acting up with an herbal dentist rinse, special toothbrush, colgate prevantil 5000 toothpaste and decadron mouthwash twice daily.
I am also sleeping, sleeping and doing more sleeping.
I didn't make i to X and C's game last night.
The cousin's didn't come over to spend the night.
I got my chemo Thursday and have slept ever since.
It's now Sat. morning and I'm considering moving.
I have gotten dressed.
I've taken my pharacy worth of drugs.
I'm headed to the marinol to force some food into me, and we'll see how the day goes from there.
I'm hoping to be well enough to start our camping excursion Monday after our soccer game. This will only put us a couple days back. I'll have to scurry back to DHMC on Thurs for my pheresis, but otherwise, no treatment for me for another two weeks.
Plesae pray that I can enjoy my time away with the family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes Hillary!!! You and your family so deserve to have a great week, just relaxing and having some fun times together.