Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

vacationing sick style

Three kids equals.... Too many kids. At that point, you can just add to the brood and no one really noticesbecause it is all ready chaos. But there is a world of difference from two children to three. The family dynamics change completely. We'd offered to take our nephew camping before I knew I would be getting treatment, and we just couldn't go back on our word to a seven year old. We contemplated exchanging kids and sending lexi back, but we just couldn't do that either. Needless to say, our vaca has not been so relaxing, but the kids are enjoying it. Finally, after I almost made good on my threat to send c and L home early are they all getting along. We'll still be cutting our stay a little short but only due to treatment. I still went to dartmouth for pheresis last thursdAy. Lexi and x stayed at the camp with mom while my grandparents cAred for me. I. Blessed. I'm a lucky girl. It takes a whole village to care for hill and family. Aside from this little cancer snaffu life could be perfect. I go back for another round of chemo, velbam again at 3/4 dose with a decadron regimen on friday, hence leaving thurs. We've had good times. Plenty of relaxing full beach days with s'more filled campfires at night. We hit a rock sale that could have doubled as a museum this weekend where the boys bought shark and dinosaur teeth, lex got little figurines and I bought some beads to make jewelry. It's been hard explaining to the kids they are not entitled to everything they see, even on vacation or if another family member is buying. We've decided we'll buy each child an outfit on top of supplying the outings. They have camp chores to be done daily with a "special prize" if they're done with exceptional behavior. After lots of threatening yesterday, we're finally in a peaceful place where the kids agree on bike rides and beach games. I have been able to get my naps and go to sleep early or stay awake with the help of family and my ritalin. The ritalin does make me jumpy and neurotic. That coupled with steroids, cancer and menopause has given me hot flashes with cold sweats that only the devil himself could have made. No wonder I lose my cool (hehe punny, huh). I did discover climacool clothes which are the perfect remedy. I'm in love. Finally some comfort. I'm buying clothes at the tax free outlets up here, finally, to accept my current body. My size isn't what bothers me, though this is the first I've been noticing other women's shapes and sizes more with a clinical curisity than anything, what bothers me is the constant changing, the never knowing how I'll be able to move or be shaped, never knowing what clothes will be comfortable, or the worst, never feeling like myself. So I've broken down to get some comfy clothes, but camping with five and clothes are costly. We had saved for patio furniture, which was supposed to be a mom's day present, but instead I'd much rather spread the wealth for a good family experience. We saw the sorcerers apprentice during the rain yesterday and ate at "the muddy moose," a camping tradition. We plan on spending a day at "monkey tails"a rope course with zip lines. It's a toss between that or "uberblast" an indoor fun spot with laser tag etc, but rright now, I'm feeling broke and hoping we can just enjoy the simple things, like biking, swimming, kyaking, and campfires.

No comments: