Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 28, 2010

OUCH

OOUUUUUUUUUCCCCHHHHHH!!!!
I don't even know what else to say.
I hurt.
My chemo's giving me a ba-donk-a-donk kicking.
I received my vinblastine Thursday, then slept all Friday, and played most of Saturday except for a decent nap, and yesterday I thought I was in the clear.
No such luck.
I had a little nausea and a little fatigue up until then.
My shortness of breath had increased.
Then yesterday chemo's strong arm gave me a beat down.
I hurt so bad.
My head hurts. My jaw hurts. My neck hurts. It hurts all the way through my parotids.
Then every time I eat, the secretions make it worse.
My mouth burns! It burns like I have strep all over.
And I was worried about losing that steroid weight.
Constant sips of water help.
Lots and lots of morphine help (and by lots I mean the dose could probably control the pain of all you readers).
I called the doctor for a prescription for my mucositis and talked to a wonderful young woman who prescribed me BLM.
That's benadryl, lidocaine, and mylanta.
It helps a little.
It won't get me eating. I'm trying to take bites of bread right now.
I'm going to try ice cream in a second. That worked last night.
I also slept with ice wrapped around my face.
Maybe I should have been less active on Saturday. It was skills and picture day for the soccer team. I could have taken it easier, because now I am MISERABLE.
I am also onmy way to the Dept. of Health's stakeholder meeting.
I knew it was a sign when I had trouble getting a ride.
It's an important one where we actually brainstorm a concept to turn into a reality.
Don't want to miss it, but doubt I'll make it the day before heading to Dartmouth in tears from the pain.

1 comment:

Loraine Ritchey said...

Oh Hilary - Oh dear- but popsicles helped chris with the mouth pain and issues, also orange slices ( that socccer standby :) and orange whip ....which is mandarin oranges, orange jello and real whipping cream put the oranges into the jello let it almost set and then whip in real heavy duty whipping cream... it slides down very easily and helped him... wish I was closer not a thousand miles away......but if there is ever anything I can do just ask....