Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, April 15, 2011

After forgetting myself and asking to die on Monday a lot has happened. Now it's Friday and surprise! I'm getting discharged home. I even took 30 percent of my bendamustine dose last evening so this cycle wasn't lost. Cycle 1 I was given 60 percent of the dose. We tried 90 percent of the dose on Mon, but all hell broke loose. If I didn't receive another dose this week I would have needed to come back in two weeks for a full second cycle. Now my next full chemo cycle will be May 9th, after a PET scan May 4th. It turns out I had a "bacteremic event" that caused my pain and confusion from having my nephrostomy tube removed Monday morning. Bacteria accumulated on the tube when it was removed the bacteria went to my blood. Later that night in the ER one blood culture came back positive but is likely a contaminant. I've been able to move around, talk, shower, make jewelry since then. I'm happy to be headed home. I awoke last night to the song, "don't stop believing, just hold on to that feelin'..." Singing in my head. I pray I recover. I'm looking forward to more family time, maybe a trip to NYC (mooching off mom) and seeing friends, but mostly I can't wait to snuggle up, watching movies and napping with the fam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you are doing better.
And snuggle time on the sofa is the best!!
Carol