Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Keeping It Moving


We tried to keep our Fri. Routine after my discharge. 
Fri. Is the end of the week. It's meant to be celebrated.
 We do what I think many traditional families do. 
X may or may not have a sporting event or play date or sleepover.
Yesterday, he did. His Cousin Carter came since it's easier for me with two kids and J had meetings. 
Alone with X the day after chemo sounded daunting, as much as I love him. 
I told them upfront my expectations: I didn't feel well. They would get along. If they didn't, they'd work it out. They'd play and snuggle with me if I wanted and help pick up.
 These few requests made for perfect kids and relaxation for j and I. 
They could play outside on the trampoline and made their first trek of the season to "the sand pit."
 We ate pizza, and watched movies together until we let them takeover video games for the night. 
This is our average friday routine. 
Usually we do pizza, even if it's frozen. 
Movies from the tv, netflix or our collection. 
It could be just us, our families, our friends, X's friends.
 I can fall asleep at 6 if I want to and still be a part. 
It's something fun and simple to wrap up a stressful week. 
We don't pretend the week didn't happen, especially this one.
We just keep it moving, one day, one minute, one moment at a time. 
What's important is the comfort that this will happen week after week. 
It's dependable. It's secure in a life so insecure. 
Believe it or not, we have other "routines."
Sat. Am is now baseball practice with Carter on the team and his Dad coaching with J. We have family time Sat. If we want it.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, because I made it another day!

1 comment:

bodylift said...

This is interesting and inspirational too. I like the post. Really fantastic post you have.