Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, May 27, 2011

Powerlessness Food Fight

I have very few choices I can make on my own at this point in my life. The ones I still can, I cherish and enjoy the little control I have. It keeps me from feeling powerless, that my hands are tied, and most important, it keeps me active in my care and health.
Saying that, I'm going to hold off on the bone marrow eating until I clear it with my Doctors.
Yes, Doctors, plural.
I spoke with my NP, Melissa, from Dana Farber yesterday. I have an appointment with Dr. Alyea on June 13th.
It's been almost a year since I've seen them!
My choices are limited when making decisions regarding my care, but I need to feel empowered. It's important for me to know I still have control in some areas. Seeking opinions, getting educated, and making decisions based on all the knowledge I acquire makes me feel empowered. Knowledge is power. I'm going to think my way into kicking cancer's ass!
I can also choose what I eat, and hope I'm making the right choices not to "feed" my cancer.
At one point, I wasn't allowed to eat meat unless it was char broiled, as well done as it could get and still be edible.
Now, after years of omitting meat from my diet, I should probably ease carefully into eating meat products again.
One theory behind my strict diet was/is that removing certain things from my diet, such as meat, my body will no longer make the enzymes needed to break down meat. My body can then rest allowing it to detoxify. I also would not detract from my natural responses.
Well, I've tried this for years with no success, I want my meat back! I've had steaks a couple times in the past couple weeks and I'm loving it! I don't know how I went so long.
I'm still trying to omit sugar to the best of my ability.
I'm taking Dr.Wong's magic herbal tea twice daily. I've fit it into my routine, taking it with my am meds/ breakfast and dinner.
It's easiest to be compliant with a practice you dislike if you make it convenient, and the easiest way to do this is to add it into your routine so it feels like second nature.
I think I may take Airborne, which is really just an immune boosting supplement at lunch every other day.
I hate the effervescent formula and having to drink it in an 8 oz. glass of something so much I won't do it.
What I will do is chew the pill even if I have to break it up piece by piece then drink 8 oz. of something.
It's all going to the same place right?
See, I have power! I have choices! You do to. Some foods out there to prevent cancer that you can enjoy to: Green Tea, Kale, OJ, Broccoli, Pomegranite Juice, Turnip Greens, Cabbage, Spinach, Tumeric, Brussel Sprouts, Ginger, Salmon, Dark Chocolate, Shrimp, and Garlic.
Eat up your heart out!

No comments: