Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Chemo Came!

The chemo is coming! The chemo is coming!

 In fact, round one all ready came.

I didn't have time to prepare much for myself. I was busy preparing the family, making sure the last days memories are good ones, you now, just in case.

I made them Grandma's sphaggheti and Meatballs for dinner, we played socer outside as a family, me included! Then we took a four-wheeler ride aound the trails before stopping at Nana and Pepere's for a swim. Well, Xander swam, J and Pepere cleaned, Pat and Graced escaped, nana layed with X, and I relaxed.
 I wanted to cook a special anti-emetic brownies to not throw up but didn't know cannabutter took days to make! Brownies are iffy because x has an obsessive love of brownies. He doesn't understand mom vs x brownies.

Speaking of x.I'm missing his concert tonight. He's singing and dancing in the gym. He's given Me some previews, also has jon will attend With video cam in tow. Not the same but close enough. I traided fam time to medicate. It is what it is. I've now received my two doses, 60 percent a piece. Thank goodness for good nurses! Good nurses are always needed to help people. If you're interested, a helpful resource for locating information about nursing courses is http://www.bestnursingschools.org

Who wouldn't want a chance to save the life of people like me?


I'm feeling whoozy and funny. My brains' wishy washy. I'm tired and awake but functioning enough to participate in my care. We advocated to spend last night here even though it was  fairly uneventful, day two could have been catastrophic, especially without my premedication steroids.


Who cares about the bloated face and water filled cankles! I'm staying alive! 
Infusion was set to start at 2:30pm without all the decadron pre-meds, only 8mg IV immediately before. That didn't set well. I took 4mgs hours before that and another 4 hours before that like mon.


I don't feel good, but I'm not hallucinating or unconscious. I'm awake and functioning. My 86 yo memere is not clinbing on the walls. I am not congratulating my Doctor's on finding parking spaces, thankfully! I haven't had to threaten with the Prime Minister either. 



With what appears to be success I'm starting making summer plans. Soccer camp for x (See the side bar and click on the Soccer ball for the sign-up sheet. It takes place at Monadnock Park in Claremont From 6-8pm June 13-17 for only $80 with $10 off for any other child in the same family.


Then there will be Pottery lessons for X and I. Summer school in the mornings. Coaching X's soccer team. A weekend trip to heather's new place and the cape. I've never been to RI before!


It doesn't stop there. I'm taking a metalsmithing class to perfect my jewelry, and of course, our annual family camping trip. Details for that have yet to be worked out, Mom is trying for two full camping weeks, I'm ify because X has summer school, but I could work reading time in.
The point is, I'm healthy enough to look forward to the future!
Yayyy, Let's hope the good times keep up.
And of Course, the Relay for Life is coming quickly. If you can't commit to joing a team, I wouldlove if anybody could come and support our cause if only for the opening statesments. Team enrollment has jumped from 19 teams last year to 30 this year. Claremont has chosen a cause to support and that cause is Cancer. Bring everyone, it's family friendly.!

1 comment:

lanabanana said...

Glad to hear that so far, things are going better than expected. That's because you hoped for the best, but were prepared for the worst! That's always a good philosophy. What a great mom you have. She's my hero. Hugs!