Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Success at The Relay for Life


Michelle, my right hand woman, and me


Whoa, Claremont's found a cause to support and it's cancer. Last night's Relay for Life was a success, and thanks in large part, not only to the fabulous Board of directors and all 31 teams, but to my-inlaws, especially mom and dad Ford, who organized lighting for the event after the last minute realization that the lighting situation had changed and dragged their camper to the event instead of to the campground to start their vacation so I could comfortably spend the night.

It ended up I couldn't even spend the night. The weather, as it is every year, was cold and damp and the air quality is awful from the allergens and incoming smoke from the west's wildfires. Even now, I don't know how often I want to brave the outside world. My lungs are my best frienemy. The hold out and keep me breathing well enough I am not on oxygen, thankfully, but only well enough to walk half the track, or 1/8 mile, before I need to sit to catch my breath.

But I have more good news, Claremont Relay overshot their goal to raise over $45,000 by $12,500 and counting. The running tally was $57,400 something as of the final ceremony and donations were still incoming. They can continue to come in for this year until July 5th.

This isn't the only smashed goal, and please, if I'm incorrect anyone reading should correct me. The Board wanted to recruit 24 teams, up from 19 last year. They had 31! Their goal was to donate 400 perishable goods to the community through the luminaria program, and they sent over 800 packing!

Trust me, they had a mass of people. I ran into another family with whom we've been lifelong friends and started chatting, completely absorbed in our own world, only to look up and realize we were about to be clothes-lined by the mass of marchers for the survivor and caregiver lap at the beginning of the ceremony. I had to scurry to safety so maybe that's why I got short of breath so quickly. I was also trying to talk and walk, which I haven't been very successful at in a long time, but at least Claremont was successful. We'll see about next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually Hilalry we can take moneies up until july 13th when the wrap up meeting will be :)

Anonymous said...

oh sorry always forget my name lol
michelle