Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hands Off My Medicare!


I have been trying to avoid the news at all costs. All the scary weather changes, the wars, and the state of our economy could give me an hour long anxiety attack watching the nightly news. 

 But the news has found me in more ways than one, and I can't sit idly by and knowing others, like me, will suffer, especially those who depend on social security to live.

If you ever plan to retire:

Tell NH Reps. Bass & Guinta: Hands off Medicare and Social Security!

Last week Rep. Bass and Guinta voted for Rep. Paul Ryan's 2012 budget proposal, one of the most brutal attacks we’ve seen in decades on both senior citizens and future generations.

This plan, "Ryanomics," would end Medicare as we know it.

 It would cut $30 billion from Medicare and in 2022 convert it to a “premium support” model- or in english- a modified, privatized corporate voucher system. Under this model, the government would make a flat payment to private insurers for each senior, regardless of whether it is enough to cover your care. 

Whatever the payment doesn’t cover would be out-of-pocket for seniors while their on a fixed income. This is an atteempt to privatize medicare the same way Bush suggested privatizing social security before the market crashed and crashed again and again.

 This act would also repeal the Affordable Care Act, which the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimates will cut the federal deficit by $230 billion over the next 10 years. That money could go to medicare promised to baby boomers.  

the Ryan budget also attacks Social Security for future generations. Under his plan, Social Security would get guaranteed, private accounts that the Congressional Budget Office says will actually cost more than the present arrangement. 

Vote for a more expensive, less effective care model? No thank you. 


$170 billion added to the deficit, $6,000 per year passed on to seniors, and a voucher system that wouldn’t even keep up with health care costs is a bad deal seniors and working Americans paying in to Medicare now. 

If Rep. Bass and Guinta continue to get their way, they would increase the deficit and break the promise of guaranteed health care benefits to seniors and people with disabilities. That’s not only scary, it’s shameful.

No comments: