Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Donation Letter

This week I was planning on writing a very persuasive letter asking everybody to look into their hearts and donate to Xander and Lexi's team, The White Tigers, for next weekends Relay for Life Event.
The American Cancer Society is a wonderful foundation. It provides housing assistance for adults near many of America's best cancer centers. It also provides money for much needed research towards the future cure we all hope for.

However, The Relay for Life and/or The American Cancer Society, have never directly assisted me financially in my battle to survive, and after a very difficult, expensive past couple of years, I would really appreciate any donations that could be made towards my health care.

It is painful for me to realize that I am not at a point where I can assist others by fundraising for their agendas, when my agenda is to stay alive and healthy for as long as possible.

Paying the $150 for my kineret eyedrops every 3 weeks is not sustainable, but it is a need so I can continue to see. Without this medication my eyes would burn constantly. I would always have a "phantom object sensation" in my eye, meaning I always feel like I have an eyelash or piece of dirt scraping my cornea, when it's really inflammation. I would have to keep my eyes closed constantly to relieve the pain. This cost $300 last month alone.

My Chinese remedy, which is used to improve my damaged immune system so I no longer experience spontaneous bone marrow failure, and was able to receive my full dose of chemotherapy, the chemo that has possibly sent me into remission, on both days with premedication and little side effects cost $190.

Dr. Wong is at Dartmouth these upcoming three days and would like to follow-up with me and assess my progress, but his fee is $250.

I'd like to go see him. I think what he has to offer could greatly improve my health; however, I just over drew buying groceries yesterday after I spent $106 in co-pays at Rite Aid.

I have tried everything to maintain our financial stability through this. I have found a way to make some income from my hobbies. I've forced myself to have a "job" while I undergo treatment for my families' stability, but that doesn't cover the $100s of dollars in medical expenses or replace the disability insurance I've been purged from.

I've fought long and hard. I would like to continue fighting. I hope that you will assist me in my fight.  Please donate using the donation button on the right side bar of my page this week.
I need to continue my care. I'm at a point where I feel like I'm gaining on my disease, and I don't want to stop now.

Thank You for your kindness, whatever you can do.


No comments: