Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, April 6, 2009

Crime Pays


With States making some major votes this week regarding topics as vast as recognizing gay marriages and budgets, I wanted to bring some attention to maneuvers that may free-up money that is being used inappropriately.
My source is a little outdated, it is a Reader’s Digest from June 2007. However, Reader’s Digest comes in a large version with big letters for people like me that can’t see. It’s the only resource I’ve been able to read.
The topics, surprisingly, are still in the public’s eye. This is unfortunate. This means we have been aware of problems since 2007 but haven’t done anything.
One article entitled “Night Shift Nightmares” talks about horrors in hospitals. It refers to patients who have dialed 911 from their beds.
I’ve worked in these hospitals, on the day shift.
It also references the hierarchy of power that inhibits caretakers from bothering those who are most able and educated to help a patient.
I agree and believe every word in this article. It is scary to know that I have worked in environments where these things happen. I have never experienced this as a patient for the reason I know the words to say to incite action.
I also use these words to incite fear if necessary. The patient should be at the top of the hierarchy of power in a hospital.
Worse than this though is an article called Pension Plan for Cons.
This discusses former politicians that despite felony convictions continue to receive pension money.
As of the article, the only conviction that would be cause for loss of a pension was treason and any of five felonies.
However, taxpayers continue to pay pensions for people like Dan Rostenkowski. HE was the former chairman of the House of Ways and Means when in 1994 he was indicted on corruption charges, such as keeping phantom employees on payroll and pocketing the money for his lavish lifestyle. HE collects $126,000 a year.
According to Pete Sapp, executive director of the National Taxpayers Union, we’re cover former politicians turned criminals to the tune of $1 million yearly.

Patients are calling 911 from their hospital beds out of fear for their lives due to our healthcare catastrophe and a million dollars a year is going to felons!

Here's an outrageous factoid, it was safer for a killer to be on death row than it was to be dealing crack in Chicago in the 1990s. Check Freaknomics, pg 104, crack dealers had a 1 in 4 chance of being killed in the projects.During the same period, a death row inmate had a 2% chance of dying when taking into account the appeals process.

Let me summarize, the punishment is safer than the streets.

If jail is safer than the neighborhoods, how exactly is imprisonment a consequence?

Here is another one, What about our schools? Maybe if our children had better examples we would not have brand new metal detectors and security systems with twenty year old books.

Our representatives represent us. Criminal acts should result in the loss of benefits.

When my child misbehaves and misuses a toy, he loses it. You do not reward misbehavior.

Having a system that fails to recognize this encourages misbehavior and white collar crime.
I want that money back. You should want that back. It should be used to protect the people.

No comments: